UKC

A few hours in Paris!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2016

I've got an overnight stay in Paris at the end of the month. Arriving on a Friday afternoon and leaving on the Saturday morning. I've never been before, obviously I'm not going to see much on this visit, but what should I really try and see.
Post edited at 14:57
 tony 03 Oct 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Depending on what time you arrive on Friday, Notre Dame would be top of my list, along with the Towers of Notre Dame. You may have to queue, especially for the latter.

You're then within easy instance of Le Saint Regis restaurant, which does very nice duck confit. And, if you like nice shirts, you can then head to Coton Doux.
Aprt from the obvious, I can suggest a great restaurant and a couple of bars if you are not alone and fancy something different

The Renaissance Republic Hotel (it's very new) has a great restaurant on the ground floor. Then a few doors down is a great wine bar which is next to a laundrette which is just a front for a speak easy bar. you walk in and one of the large tumble driers is actually a secret door. No need to ring any bells or say anything, just let yourself in and go upstairs.

40 Rue Rene Boulanger, Paris 70510
(wine bar is called Inaro, and speak easy is called Lavomatic)
Post edited at 15:00
 GrahamD 03 Oct 2016

Get the River Taxi ticket and jump on and off wherever you fancy. In truth its all good !
OP The New NickB 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I'm there with a few mates, so it's five blokes (we are cycling from London, via Newhaven / Dieppe).

Sounds like a good trip. Obviously if you want to sight see then ignore my advice. There is so much choice and so much to do it really won't matter, you will have a good time.But I really enjoyed a night out recently at the three places (all within 50 yards of each other) with a client.
 LastBoyScout 03 Oct 2016
In reply to tony:

> Depending on what time you arrive on Friday, Notre Dame would be top of my list, along with the Towers of Notre Dame. You may have to queue, especially for the latter.

You can jump the queues to get in by joining one of the tour groups - find an English/American one outside and come back at the stated time. Once in, you don't have to stay with the group.

If you want to do the Louvre, get there very early, as that has long queues, even with pre-booked tickets. Doesn't look like it'll apply to you, but, for anyone else reading, if you have a pushchair, they let you in a side door and you can jump the queue that way.

Depending on where you're staying, the area around Bassin de la Villette is quite chilled in the evening. Camarade Boris is quite quirky and does good food.

As you've got bikes, you could always have a pootle along the last few miles of the Tour stage. Sacre Coeur also good to get to by bike - pain by car! Good views over the city.

Paris Catacombs?
 1poundSOCKS 03 Oct 2016

I would suggest the Louvre. I don't usually do art galleries, but I thought it was fantastic, I spent 4 or 5 hours in there.

I didn't enjoy Notre Dame. Cathedrals are usually lovely places to visit but the usual peace and tranquility and sense of awe you get wasn't there because it's a bit of a cattle market.
Gone for good 03 Oct 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I would suggest the Louvre. I don't usually do art galleries, but I thought it was fantastic, I spent 4 or 5 hours in there.

>Or the Musee de Orsay. A great place to while away a few hours.

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html
 Toerag 03 Oct 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I would suggest the Louvre. I don't usually do art galleries, but I thought it was fantastic, I spent 4 or 5 hours in there.
Same here - the sculpture section was amazing. We went on an afternoon ticket (which were cheaper) and ended up literally running through galleries of stuff that didn't interest us.

mbh 03 Oct 2016

Cycling there from Dieppe?

My wife and I did that five years ago, doing a cathedrals and castles route via La Foret and Les Andelys, coming in past Versailles and out via Rouen.

Paris is great on a bike. Get yourselves a selfie on your bikes on the Champs Elysees with the Arc de Triomphe in the background and, if you dare, as we foolishly and illegally (as a gendarme informed us) did, cycle round the Arc to the middle and out again. No, actually, don't. You'd probably die. We nearly did.

The early 17C Place des Vosges near the Marais district is beautiful and worthy of a cafe stop.

Enjoy!

nniff 03 Oct 2016

Depends on how much time you have in practice.

Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame are sort of compulsory, as is the Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysees (if only to see the TDF view). The former will be busy and the queues may preclude getting into Notre Dame.

If you are happy spending a bit of money, a trip up the Eiffel Tower is worthwhile - you don't need to go all the way to the top for a good view.

At night, Sacre Coeur and the Trocadero are fun, and lots of places to eat in the square with the portrait painters.
Throwing ping pong balls into the water cannon at the Trocadero is a splendid entertainment.

The Louvre is a full day at least - if you try and do it in a few hours, you'll end up at the back of the crowds around the honeypots and see the Venus di Milo from miles away. Or you'll walk for ever, striding past everything else to get to something.

The Orangerie would be a better bet for 'improving yourself' with impressionists
In reply to nniff:

Thanks all. Depending on time, we intend to do a little tour around the city on our bikes on the way in, definately doing the Arc de Triomphe / Champs Elysees as a minimum.

I figured the Louvre wouldn't be realistic, my experience of other popular European museums / galleries is queues, booked time slots and needing to dedicate a fair bit of time to do it justice, so I'm not surprised that the Louvre is no different.

Meeting up with my friends on friday to finalise a few plans, so we can sort out our evening and morning objectives than.
 John2 03 Oct 2016

I went to the Musee D'Orsay last month - about a 15 minute wait to get in, followed by the world's greatest collection of impressionist and post-impressionist art. As someone else said, if you're going to one of the great museums it's best to get there a little before it opens but I was there mid day and it wasn't too bad.
 balmybaldwin 03 Oct 2016
In that case legend has it that 42 rue de St Jacques might be the place to visit

And don't worry about the shortness of you visit. One night in Paris is like a year anywhere else
Post edited at 18:06
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> In that case legend has it that 42 rue de St Jacques might be the place to visit

You will have to explain that one a little more for me.
Post edited at 18:13
 Indy 03 Oct 2016
In reply to tony:

I'd stay away from all the main attractions as they'll be heaving. Have a walk around and a nice meal..... corny I know but Chartier is pretty damn good for not much money.
 radar 04 Oct 2016

A lot depends on what time you will start exploring, if it's more afternoon than evening then maybe visit a museum or two. If visiting more than one museum it is cheaper and quicker to buy a Paris pass (or whatever it is called), you can buy from the museums. If you plan on the Louvre then it is a lot quicker to buy your ticket at Les Invalides (no queues) then go to the Louvre and join the fast queue. If you have 10 minutes go into Les Invalides - the armour section (right hand gallery as you enter from Seine entrance), their storeroom is viewable medieval armour stacked floor to ceiling.

If you are free to explore in the evening proper, you can't go wrong with a river cruise, go up the Eifel Tower when it is dark (you'll realise why Paris is called the city of light), wander around the bouquinistes (The green box market alongside the river) and the 6th Arrondissement (which I have found to be the best area to wander at night as full of restaurants, buskers, cafes and bars at sensible prices) - handily placed over the river from Notre Dame, metro Saint Michel.

If you are feeling flush, try up near Sacre Couer, great views at night. But expect to pay tourist rates in the bars and cafes around there.

LittleRob 04 Oct 2016

For a simple (free) thing to do I love the view of the Eiffel Tower from across the river (The Trocadero) and in that area I thought the Rodin museum was very good http://www.musee-rodin.fr/

Rob
 Baron Weasel 04 Oct 2016

Didn't someone make a film called One Night in Paris? Might be worth watching for research purposes...
 LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> Didn't someone make a film called One Night in Paris? Might be worth watching for research purposes...

Also try "Last Tango in Paris" - when you get home, you can climb it, too.

Probably don't watch "Taken"
OP The New NickB 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> Didn't someone make a film called One Night in Paris? Might be worth watching for research purposes...

Maybe not!
 coolhand 04 Oct 2016
Remember to leave your million pound diamond necklace at home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...