UKC

busy at stanage at the weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kinder Downfall

It wasn't here....

Had organised a day's climbing on Saturday, and watched in dismay as heavy rain was forecast. Then on Friday, the forecast was progressively upgraded, so decided to go for a walk with the gear on Kinder and see how it turned out.

And it turned out very nice- some easy scrambling up nether red brook, made more exciting by the amount of water pouring down it- full waterproofs on for the last waterfall... then some delightful routes on upper Western buttress, fantastic unpolished rock in a breathtaking setting.

Then back past the downfall, across the short crossing and down fairbrook naze. A few walkers on the plateau edge paths, but no other climbers on any of the crags.

Why not. ..? It was the same last summer when I did Zig-zag at the amphitheatre- as good a vdiff as there is anywhere on grit. No polish, no queues, great rock- and the walk ins up the cloughs are worth it in their own right.

In fact it was almost as good as Rylstone...

Chris Murray 03 Oct 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Zig-zag is the best vdiff in the peak in my opinion.
 Valkyrie1968 03 Oct 2016

Just out of interest, what do you hope to gain by this? These threads (smugness at having been to a comparatively esoteric venue/disdain directed towards more popular venues and those that use them) are popping up increasingly regularly, it seems, and I can't quite figure out what the people starting them get out of it. If you're convincing, all of the lemmings that populate Stanage Popular at the weekend may well flock to your unpolished nirvana instead; if they don't, you're pissing into the wind.
I suppose the latter is the goal, the sense of being 'smarter' than the sheep, a unique snowflake going against the grain. So, well done indeed, we're all very proud of you. And by 'we' I mean all of us who don't go to Stanage Popular at the weekend either, who regularly head off the beaten track and enjoy the esoteric - but don't boast about it, and don't feel the need to direct scorn at those who simply wish for the convenience and ubiquitous quality of Stanage.
 deacondeacon 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Valkyrie1968:
spot on.
Stanage would have had plenty of quiet, out of the way areas this weekend too.
 Babika 03 Oct 2016

Yes, I was a bit baffled by the thread title.
And in answer to the Why not? I would guess:

- 1 hour walk in carrying trad sack isn't everyone's favourite pastime
- indifferent forecast on Saturday - you said it yourself
- longer drive to get to for quite a lot of people

I was at Stanage on Sunday and it was lovely My 9 month pregnant friend and 5 year old son came to join us and I don't think that could have happened at Kinder!
 aln 03 Oct 2016

What an unpleasant reply.
 Valkyrie1968 03 Oct 2016
In reply to aln:

You know, looking at it again, you're right - I'm sorry if it was rude, no_more_scotch_eggs, and I'm genuinely glad that you had a good day on Saturday. To my shame, I still haven't made it up on to Kinder, but I hope that it isn't too late in the year to get the likes of Upper Tor Wall and Ivory Tower done.

My reply was genuinely not aimed specifically at Mr Eggs, but simply at the idea that doing a bigger walk-in to a more esoteric venue, generally in order to climb routes that get comparatively little traffic, is somehow intrinsically better than heading to Stanage for the day. Both are different experiences, and perhaps one is more rewarding than the other in a sense (I can't deny that there's an attraction to heading to out-of-the-way places and doing routes that few others have done), but it seems very mean-spirited to characterise the experiences of those that head to 'honeypots' as being less authentic or nuanced, particularly as we all, from time to time, do it, loath as we might be to admit it.

Again, though, that's no reason to spoil a person's evening, so I do hope that no offence was given, and apologise if it was.
 Danm79 03 Oct 2016

And what a pleasant reply!
Thanks for the considered reply valkyrie- and there was no sneering at stanage lemmings intended; a quick look a my logbook would confirm that's the crag i've done the most routes at, despite never living closer than 2 hours drive from it.

The thread was just an excuse to share thoughts on a very enjoyable day out, against what had been my expectations; and comment not so much on the relative quietness of the crag I was at, but on the absolute desertedness of every crag on kinder I passed on two trips, one in high summer with temperatures in the high twenties. I was more asking, does anyone climb up there any more, than saying, amn't I cool for finding esoterica.

Judging by the number of dislikes my OP has had and the number of likes your first post got, I seem to have misjudged it though. Oh well, won't bother again.

Post edited at 21:40

Calling climbers that go to Stanage lemmings still makes you sound a bit of a smug dick, I'm sure you've been to Stanage !
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
Um, did you actually read my post? The second half of that sentence gives the game away. ...
Post edited at 22:04

yes 'no sneering at stanage lemmings intended'
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Read the bit after the semi colon. The bit where I say it's the crag I've done the most routes at.

If there really is such a thing as a stanage lemming, im one.

Alternatively it might not have been meant to be taken seriously.

Are you all on grumpy pills tonight?
 olddirtydoggy 03 Oct 2016
Lets not be arguing now. I'm sure nobody meant anything by anything. It's a climbing forum, thats all.
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

> Zig-zag is the best vdiff in the peak in my opinion.

Yes, I'd agree with that.

Still not as good as fluted columns at almscliff though...

(The grumpy brigade will be on at me for championing esoterica again)

Wsdconst 03 Oct 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Lets not be arguing now. I'm sure nobody meant anything by anything. It's a climbing forum, thats all.

No arguing, think you might be on the wrong forum.
 jimjimjim 03 Oct 2016

I wish I could write replies like that.
Spot on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...