UKC

A few days in Glasgow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 04 Oct 2016
I'm in Glasgow for a few days in November with not a lot to do. I'll be staying near the SECC and will be looking for places to visit, places to go running etc whilst my girlfriend is at a conference. Evenings are sorted, so not really looking for pubs and restaurants.

Glasgow is only a city I have passed through and have never spent any time, so assume I don't know it at all.
 Phil1919 04 Oct 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

A great library if you have any use for that. Fairly near the centre.

Kevingrove art gallery and museum, and the hunterian museum and art gallery on the Glasgow university campus, both well worth a visit

An hour or two in the botanical gardens is never time wasted either.

Can link these with a walk up byres road via one of the many pubs along the way. ..
 kathrync 04 Oct 2016

All the above, and I quite like the transport museum too. The People's Palace is also worth a look if you are interested in social history.

For running, Pollok Park is nice. Or, if you can find your way on to the Kelvin Cycle Way from Kelvingrove Park (you can also get onto it from the back of the botanics) and head north that is quite nice. Failing all else, hop on a train to Milngavie and run on the West Highland Way. Mugdock Country Park is quite nice too, but perhaps a bit far out if you don't have a car (although depending on what distances you are doing, you might get there following the WHW from Milngavie).
 elsewhere 04 Oct 2016
Day 1
Look around the west end - maybe transport museum, Kelvingrove museum*, through kelvingrove park (park circus side too but that is a diversion) to Glasgow University* (look round the old buildings overlooking the park) - all walkable. Science centre across the clyde from the secc is really for kids but the tower at the science centre is only about a fiver and is really good if the weather is right. Occasionally the tower at Glasgow Uni is open too.

Day 2
City centre (via Mitchell library if you fancy that) , museum of mordern art on exchange square, lighthouse building also has a tower for great views over rooftops of city centre. Religious museum?

Not that I'm weirdly obsessed with towers and urban views but if so obsessed there also good views from top floor of multistorey cinema (cineworld, renfield st, no need to buy ticket to access top floor).

Burrell collection

Running - not that i would do such a thing - north bank of cylde to glasgow green up through city centre to canal at spiers wharf, canal to river kelvin at maryhill locks, follow river kelvin back to secc area

if you want to do hill reps go to Gardner Street! (or Kelvingrove park)

*must do (in my opinion)

alasdair19 04 Oct 2016

worth seeing a bit of rennie mackintosh too. the art school is I think still a building site but worth seeking out Scotland street school and the interior at Glasgow uni.

since this is ukc you'll be wanting to take a. train to Dumbarton the rocks and quite a cool castle are 15.min walk.

the Burrel collection is worth a look too superb building and one man's massive art /antiquity collection. seem to be surrounded by a big park so decent runs should be possible too.
 MG 04 Oct 2016

Don't miss out on a trip on the "clockwork orange". Surely the world's smallest diameter subway?
OP The New NickB 04 Oct 2016
In reply to alasdair19:

Ah yes, I had better go and look at some Macintosh, part of my day job is funding the restoration of the buildings of one of his contemporaries.
 kathrync 04 Oct 2016

> Ah yes, I had better go and look at some Macintosh, part of my day job is funding the restoration of the buildings of one of his contemporaries.

If you fancy a day trip, there is a great home designed by Macintosh at Helensburgh - accessible by train.
 LittleRob 04 Oct 2016

+1 To all the recommendations on the Kelvingrove. A smashing museum, and personally I think The Glasgows Boys gallery is superb. http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/S/Sir-James-Guthrie/Old-Willie-The-Vill...

Rob
 wintertree 04 Oct 2016

The linear park along the river kelvin from near the Clyde to the canal is great. Some fantastic early industrial archeology on display.

Hunterian museum as well as kelvingrove.

The necropolis above St Mungos is very cool.
 rallymania 04 Oct 2016
In reply to kathrync:

> Failing all else, hop on a train to Milngavie and run on the West Highland Way.

if you are doing this, Milnegavie is pronounced mull-guy... just so you know.
 Bob Aitken 04 Oct 2016
In reply to rallymania:

Ah yes indeed. Ancient sardonic pome that depends on that special local knowledge for its effect:

"I have heard that in Milngavie
The folk are quite reserved and shy;
But every house has got a slavey
Who's taught to call the place Milngavie ..."
 Fraser 04 Oct 2016

> Ah yes, I had better go and look at some Macintosh, part of my day job is funding the restoration of the buildings of one of his contemporaries.

For a Macintosh, you're in luck as the Apple Store has recently reopened in Buchanan Street. (well worth a walk from bottom to top.)

But if you want to see a Mackintosh, then take your pick of the many excellent options available.

In reply to Fraser:

I'll blame the Apple device for that auto(mis)correct.
 elsewhere 04 Oct 2016
In reply to kathrync:

> If you fancy a day trip, there is a great home designed by Macintosh at Helensburgh - accessible by train.

Of particular interest if you're into restorations as it has some problems due to the way it was built.
 Fraser 04 Oct 2016

Selective correction!

You could always visit the House for an Art Lover which is just along the road from the Glasgow Climbing Centre.

http://www.houseforanartlover.co.uk/visit/opening-times-admission-prices
 marsbar 04 Oct 2016

I really enjoyed the Kelvingrove museum. They had some old traditional kayaks on display when I went.

It's is very easy to get to Edinburgh for a day trip if you want alternative ideas.
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks everyone, lots of ideas, looks like there will be plenty of Mackintosh, museums and parks to fill my days.

> It's is very easy to get to Edinburgh for a day trip if you want alternative ideas.

I'm sure I won't need to do that.
 marsbar 04 Oct 2016

Fair enough, just a thought, if you've not been before it's also worth a visit.
In reply to marsbar:

> Fair enough, just a thought, if you've not been before it's also worth a visit.

Ive been to Edinburgh a few times.
 elsewhere 05 Oct 2016
Willow Tea Rooms
After 25 years in Glasgow I still haven't been there
 Pids 05 Oct 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

> +1 To all the recommendations on the Kelvingrove. A smashing museum, and personally I think The Glasgows Boys gallery is superb. http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/S/Sir-James-Guthrie/Old-Willie-The-Vill...

> Rob

I must admit that whilst it is good I always leave Kelvingrove Museum disappointed - always seems a bit shabby/run down when I go (about 4 times a year)

Cracking park though, and coupled with the Huntarium or a walk up to the Botanical Gardens it is a good way to spend a day - especially if the weather is crisp

The rest of Glasgow's attractions have been covered, but if staying over the weekend then a trip to the Barra's market is recommended for some "real culchur"

Nick - Enjoy your trip

and if you are there on a weekend, given its place in the culture of the city, then taking in a football match is almost obligatory. i would of course recommend that you chose the Home of Football, Firhill, for a Jags home game...

gregor
 Pids 05 Oct 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> and if you are there on a weekend, given its place in the culture of the city, then taking in a football match is almost obligatory. i would of course recommend that you chose the Home of Football, Firhill, for a Jags home game...

in case you do go to a Jags game best practice chanting this whimsical ditty

Mary from Maryhill
legs like a spider
but i'd like to ride her
Mary from Maryhill

mike123 05 Oct 2016
I know you said no pubs and restaurants but a couple of hours wandering the kelvin grove mueseum on rainy morning followed by lunch here:
http://motherindia.co.uk/index.php/dine-with-mother-india/mother-india-s-ca...
Is to be highly recommended .
 MeMeMe 05 Oct 2016

A trip to the Climbing Academy is surely what you want?

https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/our-walls/glasgow/
 MeMeMe 05 Oct 2016

Oh and there is a good arts cinema if you are interested in that kind of thing - http://www.glasgowfilm.org
Jim C 05 Oct 2016

Did anyone suggest the People's Palace .

Or the Necropolis Check out the friends of the Necropolis for a tour of the graveyard facinating and outdoors too.
 Siward 05 Oct 2016
Nobody's mentioned any decent pubs! Surely it's not all museums and galleries??

Edit: although having now read the OP properly that probably explains why....
Post edited at 12:57
 marsbar 06 Oct 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

I was going to say that, but closed for renovations.
 Pete Pozman 06 Oct 2016
In reply to marsbar:
The viewpoint in Green Park is worth strolling to. So much fantastic victorian architecture that an early morning slow run round the city is a delight.
 Fraser 06 Oct 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> I was going to say that, but closed for renovations.

The Sauchiehall Street one is (well, it's moving to the Watt Brothers building, just down the road a bit), but the [fake] one in Buchanan Street is still open - my office looks across the road into it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...