UKC

Oh dear UKIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 04 Oct 2016
If they weren't already a laughing stock...

Their new leader steps down after 14 days!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37558485

Making Plans for a comeback Nigel?
youtube.com/watch?v=gXNhL4J_S00&

Greasy Prusiks 05 Oct 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Nah nigels gone to America to be a guard on trumps wall.

He's bought a new pack of latex gloves and everything.
 toad 05 Oct 2016
Interesting snippet. Apparently when she signed the leadership documents, she signed them with "under duress" added. ( but in Latin, obviously' cos she's no pleb)
Post edited at 08:18
KevinD 05 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

I am curious about said she will "continue to concentrate fully" on her activities and responsibilities as an MEP
What exactly are those duties and responsibilities now.
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Insulting Beligians, mainly.
 toad 05 Oct 2016

And in a truly amazing and unpredictable turn of events, Nigel has declared himself interim leader!
OP balmybaldwin 05 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

> And in a truly amazing and unpredictable turn of events, Nigel has declared himself interim leader!

Only 5 minutes after saying he wouldn't do it for $10m
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

Yeah, I'm glad I was sat down for that one.
 Jim 1003 05 Oct 2016

They weren't a laughing stock after Brexit...
 the sheep 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Nope, far worse a bunch of lying twunts who went back on every major campaign promise as soon as they possibly could.
 Xharlie 05 Oct 2016

Clearly, his integrity is exactly the same as it has always been.

There is another possible explanation. Perhaps someone paid him 11 million. He never said how much he *would* do it for.
 toad 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:
Yes, and is that not what makes their behaviour post referendum quite so risible? Their incompetence and petty internal rivalries have betrayed the people that voted for their one big idea. Notwithstanding his personal politics, Farage's behaviour in recent weeks has been beyond parody.
 Rob Exile Ward 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Donald Trump, perhaps? 'How much will it cost to get that limey creep outta my hair'
 digby 05 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

> Yes, and is that not what makes their behaviour post referendum quite so risible? Their incompetence and petty internal rivalries have betrayed the people that voted for their one big idea. Notwithstanding his personal politics, Farage's behaviour in recent weeks has been beyond parody.

And like Trump, it hasn't dented his popularity one iota, nor discouraged the Brexiteers
 Xharlie 05 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:
I still cannot fathom Farage's strategy or end-game in all this. What's he playing for? Surely he isn't just a pawn but, even if he is, who's pawn is he and what's their goal?

I think he's "winning" but I wish I knew what he was winning at.
Post edited at 14:53
 Pete Pozman 05 Oct 2016

Nigel Farage has re-entered the building!
What a wonderful rollercoaster our politics is!
 Jim 1003 05 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

> Yes, and is that not what makes their behaviour post referendum quite so risible? Their incompetence and petty internal rivalries have betrayed the people that voted for their one big idea. Notwithstanding his personal politics, Farage's behaviour in recent weeks has been beyond parody.

Sounds like Labour you are talking about now, Corbyn is the joke of the century....
 pebbles 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

He says he's the leader now. Neil Hamilton says he isnt. some have suggested Neil Hamilton should be leader. Nigel Farage says Neil Hamilton as party leader would be a "horror story".

This could be highly entertaining. I'm ordering the popcorn and pulling a chair up now.
 Pete Pozman 05 Oct 2016

As Farago said today "You couldn't write it!"
Tomtom 05 Oct 2016

A turning point for Diane James was apparently someone spitting on her in a train station.
How is that acceptable? I feel that if a righty spat on Corbyn, people would be raging. I also feel that hypothetical situation would never happen, just like 'f*ck labour scum' won't ever be graffitied on a war memorial.

For the record, I don't support ukip, I just think the left can be a horrible bunch, despite their self righteous attitudes.
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Remember to use the dustpan and brush after hugely sweeping generalisations.
Tomtom 05 Oct 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Remember to use the dustpan and brush after hugely sweeping generalisations.

I made sure to use 'can be', to make it seem like I wasn't making such a comment
 stevieb 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

Yeah, no one would ever throw an egg at a leading labour politician
Lusk 05 Oct 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Neil & Christine Hamilton, hahahahahahaha!
 Trangia 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

It's completely unacceptable for anyone to spit on anyone else regardless of either's political beliefs. It's an assault for which the spitter should be arrested and prosecuted.
 The New NickB 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Of course we don't know the political beliefs of the alleged spitter.
 jkarran 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

> I still cannot fathom Farage's strategy or end-game in all this. What's he playing for? Surely he isn't just a pawn but, even if he is, who's pawn is he and what's their goal?

Don't all pawns just want to live long enough to become a queen?
jk
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Oct 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

When did the spitting - totally deplorable, and yes a criminal offence - relative to her agreeing to serve as leader only 'under duress'?
 The New NickB 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> When did the spitting - totally deplorable, and yes a criminal offence - relative to her agreeing to serve as leader only 'under duress'?

I haven't got a clue, I'm only going off TomTom's account.
 blurty 06 Oct 2016

If UKIP is a laughing stock, then the joke's on us

They got everything they set out to achieve. They should abolish themselves now and fold back into the re-spawned Tory party.
Tomtom 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> When did the spitting - totally deplorable, and yes a criminal offence - relative to her agreeing to serve as leader only 'under duress'?

The news bloke on radio1 said something about it.
I'll have a google and see if I can find out more.

Edit:
Found http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3822243/Diane-James-quits-Ukip-lead...
Apologies for the source
She was shaken after the incident, and it probably hit home that she wasn't making any friends in her new job!
Post edited at 12:13
Jim C 06 Oct 2016
Is it any less of a laughing stock than the Labour paty and its leadership farce , or the Tories leadership farce with Leadsom and May and Boris , with May left holding the parcel when the others dropped theirs and her then automatically becoming PM ?

( Oh and was there not a sex scandal candidate that withdrew too ?)
Post edited at 12:34
 drunken monkey 06 Oct 2016

Steven Woolfe involved in an "Altercation" at a meeting of UKIP MEP's and is now apparently in a serious condition in hospital.
cb294 06 Oct 2016
In reply to drunken monkey:

Stylish, to say the least! Could you imagine any civilized party settling its leadership disputes by a punchup in the EU parliament building? Idiots, the lot of them.

CB
 lummox 06 Oct 2016
In reply to drunken monkey:

Kippers literally fighting amongst themselves.
 Pete Pozman 06 Oct 2016

These are the clowns who led the Tory Party and our country by the nose out of the EU. What an absolute disgrace.
 lummox 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Harold Wilson punched John Simpson way before Prezza responded to being assaulted.
cb294 06 Oct 2016

Punching an egg throwing protester reveals an embarrassing lack of control, but does not compare to a fight in a party meeting. I have seen videos of full on brawls e.g. in the Ukraine parliament (with one of the Klitchko brothers standing at the side shaking his head), but would never have expected this in the EU parliament.

CB
 Mike Stretford 06 Oct 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Punching an egg throwing protester reveals an embarrassing lack of control,

I don't think that did Prescott any harm, it's an instinctive response when attacked at close range, and it was a decent jab.

> but does not compare to a fight in a party meeting.

Agreed.

lummox 06 Oct 2016
In reply to cb294:

Hmm, as I recall a much younger man threw the egg at Prezza from very close range. It probably hurt. I'm pretty sure I would have lamped someone who did the same to me. I don't consider myself a violent individual lacking in self control.
cb294 06 Oct 2016
In reply to lummox:

Which is why I have all sympathy for Prescott, except that as a campaigning politician anything you do will be held against you. Reacting like this is a hand wrapped gift to your opponents, as he will have been well aware of seconds later.

Mind you, had he not reacted the press would probably have called him a wimp and coward...

CB
 Postmanpat 06 Oct 2016

Does anybody actually understand what the internal divisions in UKIP are all about?

I think in the Tory, Labour and Libdems it is possible to discern the key internal "dividing" lines and issues and the important divisions are usually political rather than personal.

Are UKIP's personal or political or both and what are they?
 Scarab9 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

> I feel that if a righty spat on Corbyn, people would be raging.

> I just think the left can be a horrible bunch, despite their self righteous attitudes.

There's horrible people on both sides - seems you're one of them. Doesn't mean necessarily that those they support are horrible or share all their opinions.

In reply to lummox:

youtube.com/watch?v=5XTiI1e-wVc&

I agree, I reckon it probably did hurt and was an instinctive punch. Although I reckon if there wasn't anyone else around Prezzer would have got a spanking judging by the aftermath.
KevinD 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Does anybody actually understand what the internal divisions in UKIP are all about?

Nope. I would guess there is a certain amount of politics to it with regards to trying to decide what UKIP represents beyond the EU question. Something increasingly important now for them if they want to remain relevant.
However since policies outside of that are rarely discussed it makes it hard to understand.
Outside of that I think there is a culture clash between those who are more traditional politicians, such as Farage and James, who either started way back when in UKIP or switched from other parties and those who joined as seeing it as an alternative to traditional politics.
I have a sneaking feeling some like the way it was a personality cult round Farage and wouldnt mind the same for themselves.
 Mike Stretford 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Does anybody actually understand what the internal divisions in UKIP are all about?

At a guess, money. They've been on a gravy train for years now, which is going to end soon. With Brexit and Theresa May's policies there doesn't seem much point to them domestically, so all those UKIP MEP will have to go back to their day jobs.
 Postmanpat 06 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:
> Nope. I would guess there is a certain amount of politics to it with regards to trying to decide what UKIP represents beyond the EU question. Something increasingly important now for them if they want to remain relevant.
>
There seems to be a thing between "ex Tories" and an "old guard" , but I can't really see much in common between eg. Neil Hamilton and Douglas Carswell, although Farage dislikes them both.

UKIP originally seemed to be a something of free market small State party but seems to have tacked towards the big State interventionist end of the spectrum as it has attracted more disillusioned Labour voters. Maybe that is a split?

All very mysterious.

Maybe they are just all odd personalities and unable to compromise?
Post edited at 14:22
 lummox 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Aaron Banks, their financier stated that the Cons have effectively adopted the kippers' agenda. Based on the Cons annual conference, that seems beyond doubt.
 Postmanpat 06 Oct 2016
In reply to lummox:
> Aaron Banks, their financier stated that the Cons have effectively adopted the kippers' agenda. Based on the Cons annual conference, that seems beyond doubt.

Well, they want to move immigration control from the EU level to the UK level.
You think the details of this and the other 95% of policies are UKIP's? For example?
Post edited at 14:36
In reply to Postmanpat:

Apparently it was Mike Hookem who lamped him

"A source close to the party said the altercation had followed a tense meeting of UKIP MEPs where Woolfe had been confronted by Hookem over reports that he had considered defecting to the Conservatives.

The source said Hookem had “made a few choice words” to Woolfe about defecting to the Tories.

“Stephen Woolfe has then taken his jacket off, walked over and said, ‘Right, you outside now’ or words to that effect,” the source told the Guardian.

“They went outside and Stephen Woolfe got the brunt of it.”
KevinD 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> There seems to be a thing between "ex Tories" and an "old guard" , but I can't really see much in common between eg. Neil Hamilton and Douglas Carswell, although Farage dislikes them both.

Carswll and Farage mutual dislike is an interesting one. Whether it is just Farage having felt threatened or something more fundamental.
For Hamilton. I dont think any reason more complex than he is Neil Hamilton is needed as a reason for disliking him.

> UKIP originally seemed to be a something of free market small State party but seems to have tacked towards the big State interventionist end of the spectrum as it has attracted more disillusioned Labour voters.

It is rather odd. My favourite bit of UKIP history is that originally they started as a left wing party. The founder got booted out by several early members including Farage. Reason being.
drumroll
They thought he was turning it into a one man party.

Whilst I am not sure it followed the trajectory you suggest there are definitely different groupings in the party who think that exiting the EU would achieve one or the other of them. So lots of complexity but since there has only really been Farage in the past its all been suppressed and hidden in shadows.

pebbles 06 Oct 2016

jeesus, I was going to laugh, but I see the guy has life threatening injuries. http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/ukip-s-mike-hookem-from-hull-punched-steven-...
 MonkeyPuzzle 06 Oct 2016
In reply to pebbles:
Apparently he's now "feeling brighter". I suppose that means he will be leaving UKIP after all.

Edit: why the dislike? Bloody delicate snowflake right-wingers...
Post edited at 15:44
 winhill 06 Oct 2016
In reply to pebbles:

> jeesus, I was going to laugh, but I see the guy has life threatening injuries. http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/ukip-s-mike-hookem-from-hull-punched-steven-...

Presumably he'll now been known as Mike 'Left' Hookem?
cb294 06 Oct 2016

Words fail me. Idiots.

CB
In reply to winhill:

Right, not left.. surely?
KevinD 06 Oct 2016

> Right, not left.. surely?

wonder if some Labour MPs are looking at the news and cursing their approach to rebellion. Prescott might be getting some calls.
 Hat Dude 06 Oct 2016
In reply to pebbles:

> jeesus, I was going to laugh, but I see the guy has life threatening injuries.

From the BBC website

"UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe says he is recovering in hospital after a reported fight at a meeting of the party's MEPs.

The party released a statement from Mr Woolfe from his Strasbourg hospital bed saying he was sitting up having undergone a precautionary brain scan."

(The scan was negative)
 wbo 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat: couple of things - they're a real mish mash of small nation tories, ex-labour with add on bigotry and refugees from the extreme so apart from immigration and europe theres plenty to disagree on. And the extreme R has been prone to fracture and schism similarly as the extreme L - look at the history of the BNP.

I looked at Mike Hookums bio - I am always suspicious of some espousing 'common sense' and likes to call a spade a spade.

pebbles 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

after scanning carefully they concluded no brain was present
 Pete Pozman 06 Oct 2016
In reply to lummox:

Prezza had an egg smashed over his head from behind. He reacted entirely appropriately, not knowing what was going on,just that he was under attack. We didn't say Jo Cox was acting inappropriately for trying to fight off her murderer.
Bellie 06 Oct 2016

http://newsthump.com/2016/10/06/mike-hookem-through-to-next-round-of-ukip-l...

“When he came round he was confused and talking gibberish, he didn’t seem to be making any sense at all. Then someone pointed out that he was from UKIP and we realised this was normal.”
Removed User 06 Oct 2016
In reply to wbo:

> I looked at Mike Hookums bio - I am always suspicious of some espousing 'common sense' and likes to call a spade a spade.

I am too, and never trust anyone who describes themselves as a "plain-speaking <insert shire of your choice>man."

Re historical punching between politicians, notable is that Denis Healy levelled Colin Jordan while the latter was ranting on stage, for which DH really should have been given a medal and an OBE.
 DerwentDiluted 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Removed User:
Colin Jordan, erstwhile resident of Diabaig, much to the locals dismay. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/apr/22/race.world

Post edited at 20:39
Removed User 06 Oct 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Dear God I didn't know that. Best cragging area (one of several) in Scotland and that scumbag lived there? At least he's dead.
 DerwentDiluted 06 Oct 2016
Yes, I have fairly strong links to The Diabaig Alligin area, and its safe to say that dead stuff washed in on the tide that was more welcome in the area.
Post edited at 21:04
 FesteringSore 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:
> Prezza had an egg smashed over his head from behind.
You must have been watching a different video.
 Postmanpat 06 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> You must have been watching a different video.

No surprise there then
Kipper 06 Oct 2016
In reply to lummox:

> Kippers literally fighting amongst themselves.

I wasn't involved in this one.
Tomtom 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
> There's horrible people on both sides - seems you're one of them. Doesn't mean necessarily that those they support are horrible or share all their opinions.

Do I think Corbyn is a toss pot? Yes.
Would I spit on him? No.
Do I vote labour? No
When labour next take power, will I riot and deface war memorials and protest? No

Having said that, I agree there will undoubtably horrible people on both sides, political persuasion isn't related to level of niceness.
I believe, however, that it is apparent that the left tend to have a more self righteous attitude than then right, and they also tend to act in pretty horrific manor when things don't go their way.

Edit:
Bugger, I've gone and got myself involved in a ukc political debate :p
Post edited at 00:39
 Pete Pozman 07 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Well did he see it coming? Have a chance to compose himself and measure his response? What's more the guy was younger and bigger than him. OK younger.
 Pete Pozman 07 Oct 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

One can only imagine the bleak psychological hell he inhabits.
 wbo 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

> Do I think Corbyn is a toss pot? Yes.

> Would I spit on him? No.

> Do I vote labour? No

> When labour next take power, will I riot and deface war memorials and protest?

> I believe, however, that it is apparent that the left tend to have a more self righteous attitude than then right,

Oh the irony!
 Jim 1003 07 Oct 2016

> If they weren't already a laughing stock...

> Their new leader steps down after 14 days!

> Making Plans for a comeback Nigel?

The only thing that could be possibly funnier than this would be if Corbyn made Dianne Abbot shadow home secretary, but he's not that stupid........
Removed User 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Tomtom:

> Bugger, I've gone and got myself involved in a ukc political debate :p

Don't flatter yourself.
Lusk 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> Don't flatter yourself.

Hahaha, I say that to myself everytime.
DON'T press that green button.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...