UKC

Abseiling Llanberis area Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Olie 06 Oct 2016
Hi All,

I am in the Llanberis Area over the weekend and may have some time to take the family to do a bit of abseiling. They are not too fussed about rock climbing unlike myself but do enjoy a spot of abseiling. Due to time restraints I don't have a lot of time to browse the forums and crag maps.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some easy to access areas with good top anchors (Suitable trees, rocks or even permanent bolts) that I can use to rig up a short abseil. It doesn’t need to be anything to high 10m/20m is great but have plenty of static rope so 30+ is still easily achievable. I’d rather not give them anything too daunting and they need to be able to un harness and walk back up from the bottom if possible.

Any advice would be amazing! It’s looking like a nice dry weekend so perfect conditions!

Thanks in advance

Oli
In reply to Olie:

Lion Rock and Union Rock (Craig Yr Undeb), on either side of the end of Padarn Lake, are said to be good for this.
 earlsdonwhu 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Olie:

Tin Can Alley above the Idwal visitor centre/ cafe. Often used by groups but definitely not secluded!
In reply to Olie:

Union rock is the nearest to Llanberis. Near roadside location with great views over Llyn Padarn towards Llanberis pass and Snowdon. Good top anchors and an easy angled Slab with an easy walk off and some sheltered rest/picnic areas.
 jezb1 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Olie:

Lion rocks a good choice: http://www.jbmountainskills.co.uk/news/2015/02/lion-rock-amp-union-rock-lla...

Union rock is good too but more nuts than trees.
 Sl@te Head 06 Oct 2016
In reply to jezb1:

Craig yr Undeb and Fachwen not Union Rock and Lion Rock, please respect the Welsh names
In reply to Sl@te Head:
To be fair, "Union rock" is a pretty direct and meaningful translation of "Craig yr undeb"; I can't see a problem in calling it that on an (english language) forum, especially as it may then convey more sense of the local historical significance to visitors who don't 'siarad cymraeg'.

"Lion rock" I agree is a rather "Disney-fied" name for the crags around the village of Fachwen, and does not have any correlation with local names.

Not helped by the fact that duplicate entries with different names (Union rock, Yellow wall, Lion Rocks etc.) appear in the UKC logbooks......
Post edited at 22:38
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I simply gave them the names that this website gives them. I didn't know it was called 'Union rock' before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...