UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris-Ev 07 Oct 2016
This year want to do some winter climbing wheres the best place to start out Wales or Scotland am based in Manchester so would prefer Wales.
 nniff 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

This has been asked so many times before.

Best go and have a look at this http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/#?tab=climateMaps and see what that tells you. As a clue, the colder the better if you want anything approaching some sort of predictability rather than opportunism.
 subtle 07 Oct 2016
In reply to nniff:

> This has been asked so many times before.

As have most of the questions to do with climbing on here - the fact that they described themselves as a "newbie" should perhaps cut them some slack?

To Manc Chris - both Wales and Scotland will have spells of cold weather, you need to be able to react when the forecast comes together, best not fill weekends up with too many things during the winter so you are free to go climbing when the weather allows

Have fun and enjoy it
 PLM 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

Scotland, infinitely more reliable.
 Dom Whillans 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

best place to start? get some winter climbing buddies...
 olddirtydoggy 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

Lakes, start on some easy gullies and work your way up. Check them for avalanche risk first. Glenmore do courses to fast track the basics.
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
Not sure I'd agree with the gully recommendation; as you say, need to have a greater understanding of avalanche risk, often less protection (not that you really need it, but still. ..), possible cornice issues.

Would suggest the classic lakes edges in winter conditions as a starting point, striding/swirral, sharp edge, then something like pinnacle ridge on st Sunday crag, grade II but difficulties avoidable. Snowdonia- bristly ridge/y gribin, crib goch. All come into acceptable conditions pretty readily.

Scotland of course has far more options, and more reliable conditions, but it's a lot further. ...
Post edited at 23:00
 duchessofmalfi 07 Oct 2016
The obvious answers is don't plan to go anywhere until you know the conditions are likely good and then go where the condition are likely good.

Unless you're fortunate to live near a winter climbing venue a frequent UK winter climbing scenario is hours in a car to find it is too warm / too wet / too windy / too snowy etc when you get there and then drive home.

HeMa 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

I heard Millstone has some nice winter lines...

Runs for cover .
 angry pirate 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

I would suggest keeping options open based on the weather and then picking locations based on th plethora of information about conditions this site and weather sites include. I'm based in the Peak and face a similar conundrum. Last winter was not great for Wales but I have had some great climbs in snowdonia.
I would also recommend posting up on these forums in the partners section and meeting winter partners that way. I have had great times on the hill with folk I've met on these forums.
 Sam Shilliday 09 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris-Ev:

Winter climbing course with glenmore lodge or plas y brenin?

Other than that some of the grade I/II routes following summer scrambles like ledge route etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...