UKC

Rab Alpha Direct Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Grimreapo 07 Oct 2016
Hi everyone, I hope youre all well and looking forward to the weekend.

Im interested in purchasing the new Rab Alpha Direct softshell but havent seen any reviews on it as of yet. I wondered if anyone has it and could tell me if its as good as it sounds, wind proof yet breathable and great wicking?

Also if you know how much it compares to the Arcteryx Gamma MX.

Im realtively new to hill walking and wondered which of the two above would be better suited to that application. Thanks in advance for all correspondence.
 Dave the Rave 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Grimreapo:

It will be shite with shite customer service when it fails, apparently.
Grimreapo 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Are you basing this on your own bad experiences of rab clothing?
 Glyno 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Grimreapo:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=650959
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=648909
Post edited at 22:38
 BnB 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Grimreapo:

On first glance it looks to be an evolution of the Rab Strata jacket for which there are numerous reviews online. If that's the case then it's pretty good for general wandering about, pub trips, camp sites, lunch stops but too warm outside Autumn and Winter months for wearing on the (fast) move.

You'll get much more use out of the Patagonia Nano Air which breathes better and works the whole year round.

Neither will keep you dry in a downpour once the DWR wears off.
Holmanator 17 Oct 2016
In reply to Grimreapo:

If you're looking for similar the Marmot Isotherm Hoody has pretty positive reviews, and is a similar piece of kit using Polartec Alpha as the insulation, though with Pertex Quantum as opposed to Microlight as the face fabric, so it's slightly a slightly lighter piece. Fairly happy with mine anyway.

Both are more suited to colder seasons mind.
 TobyA 17 Oct 2016
In reply to Holmanator:
> If you're looking for similar the Marmot Isotherm Hoody has pretty positive reviews, and is a similar piece of kit using Polartec Alpha as the insulation, though with Pertex Quantum as opposed to Microlight as the face fabric, so it's slightly a slightly lighter piece. Fairly happy with mine anyway.

Don't know if they've changed the cut much but I was relatively unimpressed with the Isotherm Hoody http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/marmot-isotherm-hoodypolart...

The Alpha Direct basically looks like a Buffalo - by exposing the inside of the Alpha, you are just making a shelled a fibre pile jacket and nothing wrong with that as they work well and have done for 30+ years! Rab used to make their own version of Buffalos maybe 10 or 15 years back.
Post edited at 23:40
 Thrudge 18 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> It will be shite with shite customer service when it fails, apparently.

I've had a very different experience with Rab. My well used Vapour Rise jacket stood up to everything, except the velcro on the cuffs got all raggedy and worn out so the sleeves wouldn't stay shut any more. I sent it back to Rab hoping they could repair it and expected to be charged as it was wear and tear, not a fault.

They sent it back quickly and did the repair for free. Absolutely outstanding stuff. And a really great jacket BTW.
Holmanator 18 Oct 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> Don't know if they've changed the cut much but I was relatively unimpressed with the Isotherm Hoody http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/marmot-isotherm-hoodypolart...

Fits me pretty well at least so the cut may have changed a tad, or we have a little different shape. Nothing beyond cycling so far, I'll be more judgy when I take it out on the hills, so you might be in a better position to judge than me. An attractive price may have swayed my decision somewhat!
 AlH 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Grimreapo:

I've got an Alpha Direct jacket (and an Arcteryx Gamma). I haven't had the chance to wear the Alpha Direct out and about much but have used a Montane jacket in Polartec Alpha a lot (its a bit tatty and has lighter sleeves so I'm replacing it with the Rab for this winter). My experience of Polartec Alpha has been very positive- noticeably more breathable than other fleece type fabrics and I'd expect the Rab to be much more breathable (I got clammy in my Gamma and often use it as a pub jacket now).
Otherwise as I say I've little to report yet. The fit on the Alpha Direct is good for me. I'm 6 ft 1 and broad and the Large fits me well as a snug mid layer. Plenty length in the sleeves to use the thumb loops, pockets seem high enough to escape my harness, check pocket good for a camera and a snack. Hood is as advertised and works under a helmet but also first nicely over a Petzl Meteor 3 too. Hope that helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...