UKC

Toubkal Trek - Sleeping bag recommendations (or other tips!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stouffer 08 Oct 2016

Hi, with a load of holidays to use up at work I've booked a last-minute trip with Exodus to climb Toubkal, departing next weekend.

The main bit of kit I'm short of is a decent sleeping bag. The trip notes say a 3/4 season bag, could anyone recommend a few options? Ideally something I could make use of in the UK for some wild camping too. (And on sale, obviously...)

Anybody out there been on this trip and have any other tips? The only suitable boots I have are my La Sportiva Nepals, maybe a bit overkill but I'm assuming that's no bad thing.

Cheers in advance!
Post edited at 13:51
 Dave Cundy 08 Oct 2016
In reply to stouffer:

Assuming you're staying in the french hut with everyone else, i would have thought a 2 season bag would be fine. There were about twenty people in the room when we were there in May 2007. The quality of the food in the hut was crap though.

Prepare for headaches near the top. We took a week to get up there from Imlil but others did it in a weeken. They all struggled with the altitude and didn't seem to enjoy it half as much as we did.
 Mountain Llama 08 Oct 2016
In reply to stouffer:
I stayed at the CAF hut several years ago in Feb, I had a 250g down bag which was fine. Hut is at approx 3200m

forcast here http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Toubkal/forecasts/4167

hut details here http://www.refugedutoubkal.com/en/index.php

I think your nepals are going to be OK for summit day but a bit on the warm side for the walk in.

It's a great trip hope you enjoy it.

cheers Dave
Post edited at 21:43
 BAdhoc 08 Oct 2016
In reply to stouffer:

I did the same last year- excellent choice!

I took a Rab neutrino 400, was well toasty.

As for boots, I was adviced that I didn't need b rated boots by other people who had done the trip -this was wrong- but, I hired boots for the equivalent of £8 for three days, they were unbranded B1's.

Enjoy, as try the Thyme tea it's delicious.
OP stouffer 09 Oct 2016
In reply to stouffer:

Thanks all. Headaches and thyme tea, sounds like an adventure. I've ordered a MH Lamina with a - 2 comfort limit which sounds similar to the above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...