/ Danny Mac - Wee Day Out

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Shani - on 11 Oct 2016
FactorXXX - on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Road Liable To Flooding...
Fraser on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Fantastic!
Loughan - on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Road Liable To Flooding...

I remember some farm tracks round the back of the Pentlands that felt like that. A great observation well executed
Chris the Tall - on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Road Liable To Flooding...

What I always refer to as a "Vicar of Dibley" puddle, and am very good at finding !
Luke90 on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

From now on, every jump where I case the landing will be claimed as an attempt at that bouncing front flip and every other fall will be an attempt at the backroll drop.
ChrisJD on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

What a joyous fun Wee Day Out. Just when you thought you'd seen it all ;-)
dread-i - on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

I like the light and happy feel to it.

While searching on youtube I found another one I haven't seen before.
Apologies if others have seen it, it's been out a while. Some of the stunts look like they would hurt if they went wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL0rbxB9Lqg
Welsh Kate - on 11 Oct 2016
In reply to dread-i:

Yes, it's joyous, definitely something to bring a smile to the face
tony on 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

That's excellent fun!
GrahamD - on 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Someone spent a good while editing that into the music. Really good watch and listen. Thanks for the link.
kathrync - on 12 Oct 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

Joyous is the right word - just made me grin!
SC - on 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

That first jump from the platform to the rail was just amazingly precise.
I've missed a 3 foot wise landing before.
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 14 Oct 2016
In reply to dread-i:

> I like the light and happy feel to it.

> While searching on youtube I found another one I haven't seen before.

> Apologies if others have seen it, it's been out a while. Some of the stunts look like they would hurt if they went wrong.

!!!

breathtaking.

i assume everyone's seen this already, but worth linking again just in case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA
Robert Durran - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to SC:

Though from the bit at the end it clearly took multiple attempts - you could argue it was bound to work eventually! I've no idea about this stuff, but will most of the tricks need loads of goes to get right just the once? And how often does he actually get hurt?
Tobes on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

There was a good interview with Danny on BBC Scotland yesterday, he mentioned that some of the stunts take hundreds of attempts for that one '6 second' clip.

Awesome stuff once again!
Dax H - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I forget what it's called but he does a video from the perspective of a kids toy, they did a full making of it documentary, some stuff he nails fast, others take ages.
Lots of bumps and bashes but it can be incredibly dangerous, Martin Ashton broke his back and is paralysed after a fall.
Ian Hinkins on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Dax H:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv3xVOs7_No
Imaginate
Post edited at 08:01
SC - on 15 Oct 2016

Yes, it took a lot of attempts but that's some serious skill to land a sideways jump on a two inch wide rail and ride it out.
These pro riders rarely get properly hurt. A friend of mine is a pro freerider and he gets a lot less injuries than I do.
raliadsa skcalbwah - on 15 Oct 2016

> Though from the bit at the end it clearly took multiple attempts - you could argue it was bound to work eventually!

You've clearly never ridden a bike!

Yanis Nayu - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Incredible. Showcases Scotland well too.
In reply to raliadsa skcalbwah:

> You've clearly never ridden a bike!

I had a tricycle when I was little. Never managed to land it on a rail.
ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016
> Though from the bit at the end it clearly took multiple attempts - you could argue it was bound to work eventually! I've no idea about this stuff, but will most of the tricks need loads of goes to get right just the once? And how often does he actually get hurt?

..... training, bouldering and redpointing
Post edited at 10:44
ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016

> I've no idea about this stuff

Yet you still thought you'd give an opinion?
groovejunkie - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Watched this three times in a row. Brilliant. Loved the outtakes at the end - honest and interesting. For me it doesn't matter how many attempts it took, the fact that he can stick any of those moves is nothing short of incredible.

A joy to watch
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Yet you still thought you'd give an opinion?

Eh? I actually asked a question. Two in fact
......being ignorant!
JLS on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Rubbish. If the trick isn't on-sight, on a Grifter... well, it's just not real biking.
In reply to ChrisJD:

> ..... training, bouldering and redpointing

Yes, that seems to be a good analogy. But in that case, the way the film is put together to make it look like a casual "onsight" is perhaps slightly misleading (though the crashes shown at the end do straighten the record).
biped - on 15 Oct 2016

I think he took about 300 goes to 'send' the log sliding move, so very like bouldering. Under his sponsored clothing he will be multiple shades of purple on a permanent basis, at least when he is working stuff like this. He will likely also be wearing a back protector under his top for anything difficult with a bad landing. As Dax H said, another rider who did an impressive video doing similar on a road bike is now paralyzed from the waist down.

On a similar note, have you ever seen the ISDT around Lochaber? Very impressive, like rock-climbing on motorbikes.

I really enjoyed this film, and I'm a bit bored with endless Danny MacAskill vids, awesome as his riding always is.
ads.ukclimbing.com
ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016

... "you could argue it was bound to work eventually! "

opinion...
ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016

> But in that case, the way the film is put together to make it look like a casual "onsight" is perhaps slightly misleading.

I refer you back to you original statement: " I've no idea about this stuff"

ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016
It's not a documentary!
Post edited at 12:26
FactorXXX - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Incredible. Showcases Scotland well too.

Not as good as the 'Outdoor Capital Of The UK' video featuring Danny MacAskill from a few years back...
In reply to ChrisJD:

> ... "you could argue it was bound to work eventually! "

> opinion...

I think it was clearly just inviting discussion/correction rarher than making out that I know all about this stuff.
In reply to ChrisJD:

> I refer you back to you original statement: " I've no idea about this stuff"

Which is why I was seeking enlightenment......
ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016

> I think it was clearly just inviting discussion/correction rarher than making out that I know all about this stuff.

Lol, I think the DNA of the photography 'cheating' threads shines through for me!

idiotproof (Buxton MC) - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to dread-i:

> Apologies if others have seen it, it's been out a while. Some of the stunts look like they would hurt if they went wrong.

There is a 'making of' for this one somewhere where he has a proper whig out over the jump between the two buildings and has to give himself a good talking to before attempting it proper

In reply to ChrisJD:

> Lol, I think the DNA of the photography 'cheating' threads shines through for me!

Ok, I'll say what you clearly want me to say ;-)

This film is the biking quivalent of me exhaustively working every move of, say, an 8c in isolation to death, finally managing to do all of them by the skin of my teeth, then some clever film maker editing hours and hours of footage to make it look like I nonchalantly cruised the onsight. In other words ridiculous, dishonest bollocks ;-)
In reply to ChrisJD:

Ps. I actually really enjoyed the film.
ChrisJD on 15 Oct 2016
Lol, that's what we all knew you were thinking.

Watch this for unedited riding at the edge (they did practice and build the lines, but that's well documented):

http://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1M77N5KZ92111/red-bull-rampage?linkId=29969721
Post edited at 15:43
In reply to ChrisJD:
Yes, I've seen some of that stuff. To me far more impressive in many ways. The equivalent balls out extreme solo alpinism as opposed to rehearsed head pointing.
Post edited at 15:49
SC - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

Rampage is amazing. The lines have to have some building done to make them rideable and to ride it without practice would pretty much be suicidal.
I'd love to go and ride the Rampage mountain, it looks absolutely nuts.
KevinD - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to biped:

> He will likely also be wearing a back protector under his top for anything difficult with a bad landing.

I think the backpack will have one in.
KevinD - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to SC:

> I'd love to go and ride the Rampage mountain, it looks absolutely nuts.

I would love to see it close up but suspect looking at the actual lines I would shit it and decide to pop to the bar and have a pint whilst watching a video of the professionals do it.
keith-ratcliffe on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:
The theatrical expression 'suspension of disbelief' comes to mind. Pure enjoyment.
KevinD - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> The theatrical expression 'suspension of disbelief' comes to mind.

It doesnt even need that. I dont think he does anything completely faked. The day or so of attempts might only be available in the outtakes but the tricks he does are real and bloody impressive.
Chris the Tall - on 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Have to say that this film works better for me than Cascadia or Imaginate, simply because of the rural setting. Yes I know the tricks are worked and filmed over and over, but the fact that it appears within the context of a pleasant days ride is something that I can relate to. Add the humour and the brilliant music and it's the best bike film since road bike party

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.