UKC

Alternatives to skype?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 12 Oct 2016

I have to use skype for various conference calls. It's very unreliable. Can anyone recommend a better free alternative? (We don't need video.)
 andy 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
Google Hangouts?
 Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

FaceTime?
 broken spectre 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
WhatsApp
Edit: Not sure if you can use this to conference
Post edited at 18:52
 Doug 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Is it a problem with your connection ? I use Skype quite often both at home and work for calls with several people in several countries & it rarely gives problems, when it does its usually with someone working from home with a poor link to the web.
 MG 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
Skype for Business??
Post edited at 19:21
OP Postmanpat 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Doug:

> Is it a problem with your connection ? I use Skype quite often both at home and work for calls with several people in several countries & it rarely gives problems, when it does its usually with someone working from home with a poor link to the web.

Mine is generally OK. Other people seem to have various problems, often related to the repeated "upgrades", but often simply unexplained.
 Dauphin 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Whatsapp conference call, not sure you can video as never tried + you can call from your web browser if you have WiFi. Find the servers much more reliable than Skype, both using 4g and WiFi.

D

Shani 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Duo.
OP Postmanpat 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Thanks everybody. I'll look into these suggestions.
 Jandwilson 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Try discord, its a good alternative to skype
 Murd 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I use this, web based so no software to download.
https://appear.in/
 yorkshireman 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I would check a few other things as in my experience Skype is very reliable. If you're just using it as a phone line, perhaps its the conference bridge you're dialing into that isn't great.

youtube.com/watch?v=JMOOG7rWTPg&

I spend about 6 hours a day on conference calls (I'm on one, with video right now with London, Warsaw and Berlin) and my company uses a corporate-tailored version of Bluejeans. The beauty is that it's all web-based and no plugins to download (although there's a phone app which works well but kills the battery).

It's really easy to start a conference and I've got my own bridge number (as has everyone) which I can dial straight into without having to 'set up' a conference. It has international dial in numbers so I can call in from the phone if I'm in the car for instance. Lots of good features but I've no idea of the cost or whether you're looking for something for business or personal use.

The document sharing features and multiple video feed features work quite well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...