UKC

Small Change in Terms to UKC Photo Gallery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We have made a slight tweak to the terms in the UKC Photo Gallery.

All the change does is acknowledge the fact that photos uploaded to the database can be linked to from crag and route listings in the UKC Logbook database. This database is also now accessed by the Rockfax App hence photos do appear in the Rockfax App to illustrate crags and routes although they are never actually downloaded and stored on anyone's phone.

The new terms are displayed below and when you upload a photo.

Thanks

Alan

_______

> All photo submissions are checked by us before we make them public on the site.
Please, no inappropriate photos - they will be immediately removed.

> Only upload photographs that you have copyright or permission to use (no scanning from guidebooks or magazines please!)

> You retain the copyright of images that you upload, and we will not reproduce them in printed form.

> You can remove a photo from your gallery at any time.

> Occasionally we use photos from the UKC database to illustrate news items and articles. We do make efforts to contact people for permission first however it isn't always possible before an item/article is made public. If you find a photo of yours being used and don't wish it to be then please contact us and we will remove it from the news item or article.

> Most photos are assigned a crag when uploading and this enables them to be linked and disaplyed with the crags and routes in the UKC Logbook database. These photos are also accessed directly by the Rockfax App to display with the crags and routes it covers. This is an automatic process and no permission is sought to display these photos. If you find your photo being displayed in UKC Logbook, or the Rockfax App, and wish it to be removed, then please delete the photo from the UKC Photo Database.

> Photos that do well in the Photo of the Week competition are posted onto our social media channels.
 stp 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Are there any plans to allow higher resolution images in the near future? The current 1000 pixel limit is now over 10 years old I believe - a very long time in the world of IT. Images appear small on a modern monitor and screen and camera resolutions are going up all the time.
In reply to stp:

> Are there any plans to allow higher resolution images in the near future? The current 1000 pixel limit is now over 10 years old I believe - a very long time in the world of IT. Images appear small on a modern monitor and screen and camera resolutions are going up all the time.

Coincidentally, this is something that we were thinking about last week. It does have a big impact on our bandwidth costs however we have made some technical changes recently that have reduced these despite the continual increase in traffic.

I'll keep it on the agenda.

Alan
 planetmarshall 14 Oct 2016

> ....photos do appear in the Rockfax App to illustrate crags and routes although they are never actually downloaded and stored on anyone's phone.

I'm not sure how you can make that guarantee - if an App displays an image, exactly how it is done is ultimately up to the OS (eg Android or iOS), which could well involve storing a copy of the image locally. You might be able to guarantee that those images are not accessible to other Apps, however.
 Duffers 28 Oct 2016

Is there a problem with the App on Google Play? I have updated my device and can't find the app anywhere, even using the links from the main UKC website on my Android. Is it due to the change in terms?
In reply to Duffers:

> Is there a problem with the App on Google Play? I have updated my device and can't find the app anywhere, even using the links from the main UKC website on my Android. Is it due to the change in terms?

Sorry, but which App are you referring to here? The Rockfax App - which hasn't yet been released on Android, or the very old UKC Photos App?

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...