UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Pommish Invasion - The Candlestick, Tasmania

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Oct 2016
The Pommish Invasion, 4 kbEarly this year, three students from Lancaster University - Matt Amos, Ben Cianchi and Jonathan Doyle - took on the most serious and committing challenge of their lives, climbing The Candlestick: a 110m sea-stack next to the world famous Totem Pole, at Cape Huay, Tasmania.

Read more
 JayPee630 14 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody hell, that swim across!!
In reply to JayPee630:

Yes, that looked scary I wouldn't have gone in there myself.
 Ramon Marin 14 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

my god fair play to this lads, nice work. That swim!!!!
 John Cooke 14 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Watched this and couldn't stop smiling. Great work guys, looks amazing climbing.
 Shone 14 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

that jump in! Balls of steel! Great little vid
 TobyA 15 Oct 2016
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Yes, that looked scary I wouldn't have gone in there myself.

Yeah - totally agree! Nice little film and the climbing looks great but not sure I would have "risk assessed" the swim as doable that day! The water in Southern Australia isn't always particularly warm so I guess is Tasmania it could be cooler still. Brave lad!
 C Witter 15 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Cracking effort!
 Simon Pelly 15 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Wow!!! Good effort lads.
 Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> ... The water in Southern Australia isn't always particularly warm so I guess is Tasmania it could be cooler still.

It's the Southern Ocean: it will always be cold as f*ck.

However, for those willing to to try, there is adventure galore down in Tasmania - just be prepared for the weather.

People reading this thread might be interested in this blast from the past: youtube.com/watch?v=My0S68ruxQ8&

Deri Jones 15 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Nice work fellas, a great day out and film! I spent a good bit of time on the ledge on the Totem pole - the comments about sharks in the guide aren't just there to freak out us Poms - I saw at least three decent sized ones cruising up that channel, no way on earth I'd have been in there. Envious that you did the Candlestick, makes the Old Man of Hoy and Stoer look very tame in comparison.
 AP Melbourne 17 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Yep, brill film young chaps and great effort. The old video is a cracker with no Lycra, heel-hooks, dusting of chalky hands shots (loathe them) or bolts in sight.
All great stuff.
In reply to UKC News:

Only just got round to watching this after the weekend, great stuff - captures the spirit of adventure nicely.

That said, after watching that swim I reckon the Totem Pole could be the 'easy option' so may just stick to that

Bobling 17 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

When I walked out to Cape Huay the weather was awful and we saw none of these beautiful sea stacks or rock formations due to howling wind and mist. All we got was leeches, leeches, leeches so great to see it all!

I'm pretty sure it was the map for this walk which had a warning on it which said something like "BEWARE: Sharks will be present at any locations where there are seal/sea lion haul out points". Respect!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...