/ Risk in Sport: Impact Force

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shani - on 16 Oct 2016
I figured that certain sports like climbing and surfing (big waves), or impact sports like rugby and American football would involve the greatest forces in sports.

But recently I've changed my mind and have come around to the idea that elite football involves the greatest forces. Footage of the physics of some games appear to bear this out:

https://twitter.com/goleada_info/status/787393451457441792?s=08
Dax H - on 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

There must be a lot of impact from constantly diving on the floor.
FesteringSore - on 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Looks well choreographed
johncook - on 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Very few footballers land from more than a couple of feet as compared to climbers etc, who can manage somewhat greater distances! Footballers also have lessons in how to land with the greatest amount of show, resulting in the largest imaginary injury possible, couple with a miracle cure so they can very quickly stand up and play again within minutes.
wercat on 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Dax H:

not to mention the "Knee suicide" when they slide on their shins
abseil on 16 Oct 2016
In reply to johncook:

> Very few footballers land from more than a couple of feet as compared to climbers etc, who can manage somewhat greater distances!....

I think skydivers take the biscuit ... of course skydivers are not supposed to hit the ground at terminal velocity, but then neither are climbers
ads.ukclimbing.com
SouthernSteve on 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

My sports massage person recently said that footballers and more recently netball players (due to increased grip on footwear and on the sports surface) were at most risk of knee injuries due to the abrupt and high forces involved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.