/ Ballnut No.2 - Worth adding to the Rack???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sting - on 17 Oct 2016
Thinking about buying a No.2 Ballnut, anyone any experience of using them.....heard they can be difficult to remove once weighted. Whats the verdict, a useful addition or useless??
Dave Kerr - on 17 Oct 2016
In reply to sting:

I'd go for a number 3 instead.
Cheese Monkey - on 17 Oct 2016
In reply to sting:

Really useful when you find a placement.
Kevster - on 17 Oct 2016
In reply to sting:

Are they one of those pieces you put with the tri cams?
I've never felt that what I really need is specifically a no. 2 or 3 ball nut. I know they are useful for some grit routes. Are they useful enough to put in the rack? Or carry around?
Others have already said they find them useful, when and how often?

Ta.
sting - on 17 Oct 2016
In reply to Kevster:

When climbing on grit i've noticed some potential ballnut placements where no other gear would be possible i.e crack or break too small for a cam.
Sometimes its nice to get a piece in to commit to a hard move, has anyone taken a fall onto one?
Kevster - on 17 Oct 2016
In reply to sting:

Sounds like a potential good purchase for you. I must be missing the placements, but then I've never placed one either. I'd be interested to hear how they work out if you do. Ta.
wbo - on 17 Oct 2016
In reply to sting: not onto a ball nut, but a biggest one, 7 to 8 m , onto a rock n' roller . It was backen up with some other pierced but the bend in the thing afterwards showet it had taken the hit.

timjones - on 18 Oct 2016
In reply to sting:

> has anyone taken a fall onto one?

I've taken a fairly big fall onto a bailout placed in a thin granite crack. It held but it took some time and cussing for the second to extract it ;)

ads.ukclimbing.com
Ron Rees Davies - on 18 Oct 2016
In reply to timjones:

Great in thin very parallel cracks, particularly quarried slate and granite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.