UKC

UKC logbook search enhancement request

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 19 Oct 2016
Dear UKC - have you considered improving the logbook search by using something like the Levenshtein distance algorithm?
 JLS 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Scotch Bingington:
Yikes! And here was me just happy that it worked at all.

Well, if we are going to have another wishlist thread...

Howz about making logbook entries a bit more social-ly media-y Strava.com like?
Ability to comment on your mates comments on their logbook and give Strava style kudus? Possibly controlled by user preference settings: allowing/dis-allowing comments on your entries from partners or public. Perhaps, third party comments visibility settings for either public/partners or just self.

Send out to partners, automatic emails proclaiming your latest grade busting send. Again controlled by user preference settings as to whether you opt in to receive/send such emails.

Share your "send" (logbook entry) on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Obviously, not things the quiet do'ers among us will be much interested in but some people will have some fun with it.
Post edited at 14:35
 mrphilipoldham 19 Oct 2016

I'd be interesting in being able to view a particular crag through the eyes of another user.. so I can see which climbs a partner has done without having to go to their logbook, sort by crag, then scroll through 30 odd pages until I find the right one!

Or perhaps a 'compare to..<insert user name>' feature, so when suggesting days out you can see where has or hasn't been explored by either of you etc.
Andy Gamisou 19 Oct 2016
In reply to JLS:

> Yikes! And here was me just happy that it worked at all.

Blimey, your expectations are low!

JLS 19 Oct 2016

When you have to scroll down a list of every country in the world, just to get to "UK", while entering your address, when making my weekly booking for a GLASGOW sport centre, things at UKC don't look so bad.

Andy Gamisou 20 Oct 2016
In reply to JLS:

> When you have to scroll down a list of every country in the world, just to get to "UK", while entering your address, when making my weekly booking for a GLASGOW sport centre, things at UKC don't look so bad.

Probably quite sensibly future-proofing the system
In reply to JLS:

> When you have to scroll down a list of every country in the world, just to get to "UK", while entering your address, when making my weekly booking for a GLASGOW sport centre, things at UKC don't look so bad.

Yes, also one of my pet hates, but have you tried clicking on the menu once and then typing 'uni...' and it pops straight to the United Arab Emirates and the UK tends to be just below.

Regarding the search question... I will ask Paul.

Alan
 JLS 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Cheers. I'll give that a go and see if that works.

To be honest, I'd never heard of the Levenshtein distance algorithm.

I've found this on the font of all webdev knowledge: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4671378/levenshtein-mysql-php, I'll add it to the todo list.
Andy Gamisou 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Cheers. It would be useful when (for example) you don't quite know how a crag name is spelt. For example, my local crag has more than one (locally) acceptable spellings "Diarizos" and "Dhiarizos", with the latter being that adopted by the UKC database. But if someone only knows it by "Diarizos" then entering this won't give a match at the moment. Using the Levenshtein function it would. It should be possible to combine it with the 'predictive' feature that is currently used.

> For example, my local crag has more than one (locally) acceptable spellings "Diarizos" and "Dhiarizos"

We usually just put the second spelling in brackets for crags like this.

I've added it for that that: Dhiarizos (Diarizos)
Andy Gamisou 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> We usually just put the second spelling in brackets for crags like this.

> I've added it for that that: Dhiarizos (Diarizos)

Umm - I think you've missed the point I was trying to make in a fairly spectacular fashion! Maybe read up on the concept of string distances and you'll maybe see that it could add a beneficial addition to bits of your website with fairly little effort.

I didn't miss the point. I just added the solution we currently use to the dual name problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...