UKC

Alps planning for 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 20 Oct 2016
Looking to plan for a week in the Alps for "summer" 2017 in a group of about 8. One option I was considering was UK minibus hire, ferry, campsite Chamonix or similar. Any advice around this approach would be appreciated. An alternative has been suggested of cheap flights,transfers, appartment / cheapish chalet,car hire etc. Recommendations around this also appreciated. I realise that neither of these approaches will be cheap but value for money is more of a priority. Thanks in advance.
 Aigen 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Do the mini bus from the UK option because if the weather is not good then you can go somewhere else with the mini bus. So many people book flights, accommodation etc only to land and the weather shut down the whole trip. Then people spend the trip walking around gear shops looking up at the cloudy peaks.
If you have the flexibility of driving from the UK you can just go to another region of the Alps at last minute or go sports climbing instead, on the way down. Read up alot about places to go eg. Chamonix, Ecrins, Pyrnees etc. Also read up on classic sports climbing areas eg Verdon, Boux etc.
 steve_pwo_79 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I could be wrong but I think you have to have a specific "bus driver" type license for driving a minibus in the EU.

I've normally either driven out from the UK, or flown out and hired a car. Then if the weather is dire you have maximum flexibility to go elsewhere. Camping has always been preferred because renting a chalet ties you to one location. Drive out and camp for maximum flexibility would be my vote.
OP Mike Conlon 20 Oct 2016
In reply to steve_pwo_79:

I am of the venerable age that my UK licence covers minibuses I believe and I also have a "Midas" minibus licence but thanks and I will check. Interesting that both you and ciderpunk emphasise the flexibility option which I will bear in mind. Thanks both.
 MG 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Would two cars (thus saving minibus hire costs) be as cheap and offer even more flexibility?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...