UKC

Is fairy cave quarry grim at this time of year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 20 Oct 2016
Hi all - does anyone know if Fairy Cave quarry is grim and wet at this time of year? Does it get the sun at all?

My friend and I are thinking of going and doing the easy slabs there at the weekend.

Cheers!
 The Ivanator 21 Oct 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

If there have been a few consecutive dry days you'll probably find plenty of climbable rock. Most areas won't get much sun at this time of year ...the slabs with Balch's Slide will probably be the exception.
Even in the height of Summer it is a moot point as to whether Fairy Cave is grim or not!
I assume you are aware of the access arrangements (detailed on the UKC crag page and the mini Fairy Cave guidebook). Enjoy it if you do go for it.
 Casa Alfredino 21 Oct 2016
In reply to ewanjp:
It should be fine at the weekend. You need to register with Ian Butterworth, the BMC access rep for the quarry to gain access and the code for the gate.
OP ewanjp 21 Oct 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

Thanks all. I will drop Ian an email.
 Dave Garnett 21 Oct 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Even in the height of Summer it is a moot point as to whether Fairy Cave is grim or not!

Come on, FCQ is picturesque by quarry standards and nothing that far SW is truly grim, it's a northern concept. In a list of grim quarry climbing experiences FCQ wouldn't even make the top 20.
 The Ivanator 21 Oct 2016
 beardy mike 21 Oct 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

That's a fairly harsh way to present FCQ. It has its own charm and on a warm sunny day like today, its a great place to climb - quiet and out of the way. The view you give of Dancing ledges is not the view you get from the quarry is it. In reality, from the base of the routes, you don't get much of a sea view and its just a barren flat bottomed quarry with pretty rubbish sport routes. FCQ on the other hand has some really high quality slab climbing especially once you get to HVS, and when the strawberries are out, the birds are singing and the trees have leaves its really not like you've presented it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...