UKC

NEWS: Early days on the Dawn wall for Ondra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Oct 2016
Adam Ondra on one of the crux pitches of the Dawn wall, 4 kbAdam Ondra didn't waste much time in the Yosemite valley before he jumped on the Dawn wall and began putting up a fixed line. I guess he was super keen to see for himself what all the fuss was about and if it could really be as difficult as the numbers suggest.

The young Czech has been clear...

Read more
 Shani 23 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Does he even grit?
 Shani 23 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

You and (currently) 7 others need to recalibrate your irony-filters.
 d_b 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

The problem is that it's not ironic, it's dull. Some variant of the same comment comes up every single sodding time Ondra is mentioned so even doing it ironically is boring.
 Shani 23 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
Oh David, it might be boring but it's assuredly irony (not least because although my comment got 7 dislikes and you've taken it upon yourself to moan, I'm currently the only person to have Liked the OP); "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite."
Post edited at 19:46
 beardy mike 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani: it's about as ironic as Alanis Morrisettes hit, isn't it ironic. Please google Ed Byrne isn't it ironic if unsure.
In reply to beardy mike:
That's a great link - thanks.
 Shani 23 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

Ed Byrne - what's he done on grit?
 Andy Farnell 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani: Alanis Morisette, what has she ever done on the grit...

Andy F

mrchewy 23 Oct 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

Filed her nails probably.
 beardy mike 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani: Not much. He's done much more on irony, unlike alanis.

Bulls Crack 23 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I think there is indeed a level at which repetitious irony transmogrifies into banality.....
 FactorXXX 23 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

it's about as ironic as Alanis Morrisettes hit, isn't it ironic. Please google Ed Byrne isn't it ironic if unsure.

Say something ironic to a Canadian and they'll be confused for a day. Explain it and they'll be confused for a lifetime...
 jsmcfarland 23 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Good for Ondra.

OT: Totally agree that the 'what's he done on g**t* thing really is unfunny in every possible variation and permutation. Can it just be allowed to die a quiet death please. Ugh
 FactorXXX 23 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

'Dawn Wall' and on-sighting 'The Nose' in one trip and from a team where they perhaps don't actually know what they're doing some of the time with jumars, etc.
Excellent stuff and if they pull it off, must surely rank as one of the most audacious, outstanding and amazing rock climbing feats/trips of all time!
abseil 24 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> The problem is that it's not ironic, it's dull. Some variant of the same comment comes up every single sodding time Ondra is mentioned so even doing it ironically is boring.

What did John Wayne do in "True Grit"?
 Shani 24 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

> Not much. He's done much more on irony, unlike alanis.

You've picked one of the few comedians who climb. Isn't that ironic?:

http://bit.ly/2e2zG4c

Motown 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Tool.
 beardy mike 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Not really. It was intended. Is it ironic that you thought I didn't realise?
 stp 24 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

> I guess he was super keen to see for himself what all the fuss was about

I think he got on it straight away because after some heavy rain there it was drier than the other things he plans on trying.
 Shani 24 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

> Is it ironic that you thought I didn't realise?

Probably less ironic than you thinking i was unaware of what Ondra had done on grit.
 beardy mike 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Did I say you were unaware? I said your joke is unironic. Saying what's he done on grit is at best a joke. It's definitely not irony as comprehensively explained by the aforementioned Ed Byrne in any of his many monologues about the topic.
 FactorXXX 24 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

Oi!
Shani and beardy mike, get a room!
 Shani 24 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

You said, "That wasn't so hard was it?" and provided a link to Ondra's grit achievements. Very much actions of a man who missed the irony of my post.
 beardy mike 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani: Um, you might want to check who posted that link. And as someone else has posted, we're in danger of requiring a love in here. As much as I'd love to snuggle up, I suspect you won't enjoy being nuzzled by my abrasive beard.

beardy mike 24 Oct 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Jealousy will get you everywhere. Come here and give us a snog.
 Shani 24 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

My bad. I'm vanquished.
 Morgan Woods 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

Can i just say the use of "grit" as a verb is very ironical.
 Denni 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Classic UKC.
CharlesE 24 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

More replies relating to an irrelevant comment than about someone trying to onsight the most iconic route in the world. Utter peasantry.
 FactorXXX 24 Oct 2016
In reply to beardy mike:

Jealousy will get you everywhere. Come here and give us a snog.

Only if you promise to shave off your beard first...
 winhill 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

> Ed Byrne - what's he done on grit?

Does Culm count?

http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/skills/ed-byrne-climbs-spectacular-sea-cliffs-...

Greasy Prusiks 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

How did the whole "what's he's done on grit" thing start and is it specific to Ondra? I'm confused.
 Shani 24 Oct 2016
In reply to winhill:

We've already had that link! Luckily Winhill is made of grit, so we're cool.
 Shani 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

I don't know about it being Ondra specific, but for a decade it's been a standard response to waddage. Ironically of course.
 Michael Gordon 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

It started as a serious criticism of some top climbers which was then turned into a running joke (and deservedly so). Unfortunately the joke ran it's course many years ago.
 Shani 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> It started as a serious criticism of some top climbers which was then turned into a running joke (and deservedly so). Unfortunately the joke ran it's course many years ago.

A serious criticism of top climbers? Really? I am pretty sure it has never been used on UKC in such a manner.
 La benya 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Shani:

I believe, and I could be wrong here, that there was a time before UKC... shocking I know.
 Shani 25 Oct 2016
In reply to La benya:
We've entered a age of whining where people believe they've a right not to be offended. Maybe i should be deplatformed?
Post edited at 22:11
 Greasy Prusiks 25 Oct 2016
In reply to La benya:

B b b but how did people talk about climbing?
Where did they get their likes and dislikes? How did they get expert medical diagnoses?

I'm sorry I just don't believe you.

Ps. Thanks for the answer, Michael.
 jon 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Where did they get their likes and dislikes?

On a postcard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...