UKC

Replacement MTB fork

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Guy Hurst 23 Oct 2016
My son has been given a used Scott Scale MTB by a relative at just the right time to replace his old Voodoo bike, which is now much too small for him as he's almost 6ft tall (at age 13). The Scott is six or seven years old but in generally very good condition, apart from the front forks, which are Rockshox Toras with coil springs. They're sort of ok forks (at least as good as the ones on the Voodoo), but the seals have gone on them and they have no damping oil left in them.
I guess I could have them serviced by Rockshox, but I'm told that would cost £90 or more, with no guarantee of results. I could have a go at servicing them myself, but it looks pretty complicated and requires tools I don't have.
So, is there a decent coil fork I could buy new for under £150 (preferably a lot under) to replace them? Or do I look for a secondhand fork on eBay, and if so which one?
Like the Voodoo, the Scott will be used mostly on red runs at trail centres, and for slogging up the odd Scottish glen. The wheels on it are 26in, which is one of the reasons I don't want to spend loads of money on new air forks, the other one being that I don't have loads of money to spend.
 Taurig 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

In your situation I would recommend a second hand air fork, something like a rockshox recon. The weight saving over the coil (especially if going from steel to alloy steerer) and the adjustability of the air are worth it. Just make sure there is enough steerer left to use if it's been cut, and that you know if you need a straight or tapered steerer. Try the 'bay, singletrackworld forums and pinkbike buy and sell, you should pick up something fairly new between them. Just use your intuition; if it looks used and abused you could just end up in the same needing-a-service situation.
 Murderous_Crow 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Agree with Taurig; a second hand air fork in good condition is probably the way forward for now, given the kind of riding outlined. The advice on steerer compatibility is important.

A quick google found this article which covers the main points to check before you buy:

http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/how-do-i-tell-if-my-forkshock...

Pinkbike buy/sell will have lots of options but you'll be safer travelling to see the item and paying cash on collection if possible, as there's no buyer protection.

Ebay obviously does have the buyer protection, so read the description carefully before purchase. Prices are probably going to be a little higher than the likes of pinkbike classifieds.
In reply to Guy Hurst:

That said, just found these on offer at Winstanleys. In stock, and a tenner over budget. Warranty and everything:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/80898/RockShox_Recon_Silver_TK_So...
 ChrisJD 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Assuming its a straight 1-1/8 steerer? Normal quick release QR on your front wheel? will the front hub convert to thru axle? What travel are the Toras? Stanchion diameter?

All these things will affect what options you can replace with, especially on 26" and standard QR, as both these are getting rare new, so 2nd hand may be only viable option.

As always, the risk with 2nd hand is that you'll end up servicing anyway for £60 - £100.

Assuming you want 120mm to 140mm ish, Rockshox Reba; or air or coil versions of RS Revelations, are good performing forks for the money (£150 to £200 2nd hand?, not checked for a while). Or if less travel required, try and find a pair of RS dual air SIDS.

ChrisJD 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

Is a bit ambiguous whether that's a tapered or straight steerer - says both in description?, but no options/details provided when you add to basket?

In reply to ChrisJD:

I know two things about Winstanleys: great customer service, shocking website. They won't sell the OP something incompatible; I'd advise calling them anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...