UKC

Help? A level PE climbing syllabus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ali-wood 24 Oct 2016
Can anyone help? My daughter is doing A level PE with the new climbing syllabus. Unfortunately whoever wrote it has their own unique terms for certain techniques because in 28 years of climbing I haven't heard of a technique called 'back stepping'. Any ideas people?
Also the syllabus writer seems to confuse bouldering with traversing... Anyone else having similar problems with this slightly odd version of climbing? I guess it wouldn't matter if it wasn't about losing marks for getting it wrong. Help please!
 galpinos 24 Oct 2016
In reply to ali-wood:

Back-step - steep wall technique a bit like a half hearted Egyptian, often used when twisting in and reaching. Your hip is next to the wall so the foot of the leg closest to the wall is on it's outside edge behind you, hence back step? Might be an Americanism? I'm sure google will help.
 Fraser 24 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Unsurprisingly, Google does indeed help.

<backstep climbing> gives all you need to know.
OP ali-wood 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks guys, we did google it, but it come across as what is commonly known as twisting but without enough technique to rotate the foot. Ie rather than twisting on the toe, they take their foot off and put it on backwards to outside edge. In other words its bad technique.
We found it so odd for an English board of A level to be using an American version of poor technique that assumed it can't be the intended technique??? Any other ideas? I'm thinking if the entire climbing community in the UK doesn't know what is meant by 'back stepping' then quite possibly it isn't a UK technique.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...