UKC

Sarek/Kiruna Outfitter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking into skiing across Sarek in late winter - can anybody recommend an outfitter that could help with organising transport to/from Kiruna, rent gear (pulkas, fuel), and just be a point of communication in the country? Reliability and fast communication preferable!

Also any advice for the area welcomed!
 HeMa 24 Oct 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Not sure that there are that many outfitters there... people generally have all the stuff they need, and might only need help with the transport.

But I'd suggest contacting STF (https://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/) and see if they can point you out in the right direction...

Oh, and for Sarek, Gällivare is a better access point (unless you wish to start with Kungsleden from Abisko, the go past Kebnekaise on the Kungstrail to Sarek... as a warmup).
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for the link Yeah I saw Gallivare but I was considering starting from Nikkaluokta and then heading down through Sarek, kinda avoiding the busier trails. It pretty much doubles the route though, so we will see! Also it seems to get to Gallivare you need to get on about 4 different flights, whereas Kiruna is only one stopover.

Yeah it seems pretty hard to get any information about local guides/tours etc that could help. It's not that I can't do it myself, it would just be nice to have some experienced locals help with some of the logistical stuff. Also flying with pulkas sounds like a PITA... I guess I just figured that with such a popular trail there would be more infrastructure!
 HeMa 25 Oct 2016

> Thanks for the link Yeah I saw Gallivare but I was considering starting from Nikkaluokta and then heading down through Sarek, kinda avoiding the busier trails. It pretty much doubles the route though, so we will see! Also it seems to get to Gallivare you need to get on about 4 different flights, whereas Kiruna is only one stopover.

True, for Gallivare and flying in might not be the easiest option. However a sleeper train might be the easiest way (from Stockholm).
cb294 25 Oct 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Yes, or the bus from Narvik or Kiruna airports.

CB
 OwenM 25 Oct 2016

No idea about renting gear sorry. There is a train from Lulea to Narvik it goes through Gallivare and Kiruna and also Murjek. There are buses from Kiruna to Nikkaluokta, Gallivare to Ritsem and Murjek to Kvikkjokk. I don't have a winter timetable but in summer there are only two buses a day, morning and afternoon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...