UKC

Touching up chips on carbon frame ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 25 Oct 2016
As in the title, really. Any benefit apart from cosmetic ? is ordinary model enamel paint the stuff to use ?
Rigid Raider 25 Oct 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes the benefit is only cosmetic. Older carbon frames were painted with thick brittle paint, which chipped easily. I had a 2006 Roubaix and I took a small piece of paint along to Boots in the hope of finding a matching nail varnish; the assistant there succeeded in making it clear she didn't believe my story and thought I was a trannie looking for something nice for the weekend. That thick brittle paint sometimes cracks in areas where the carbon frame flexes, giving rise to worried posts on internet cycling chat sites.

I tried to blob in the nail varnish neatly with several coats to fill the gap left by the flaked off paint but it wasn't really successful. Some bike manufacturers do supply touch-up paint.
 The Potato 25 Oct 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

its not going to rust/oxidise so no need
OP GrahamD 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

I'd seen somewhere that moisture ingress was possible but to be honest, black scars on a white frame look ugly and i'd just like an easy no risk way of patching the worst of them so they aren't so glaringly obvious.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I chipped the chain stay on my C40 where the QR caught it when I crashed. It left a milky white mark on a black frame which I coloured in with black marker pen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...