UKC

MPs reject plan to accept 3,000 unaccompanied child refugees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 25 Oct 2016
http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/list-of-mps-who-voted-to-turn-away-30...
It was a close vote 294 votes to 276. Considering Germany took in a million refugees last year you'd think we'd take a token amount. It was short sighted and cowardly of the MP's to reject this plan in my opinion. I guess they've always got one eye on the media/electorate which seems really right wing at the moment. Shame on everyone concerned.
Jim C 25 Oct 2016
In reply to broken spectre:
Why are we posting a vote that was reported back in April ?

Ok I will bite:-
As one comment on this old report says :-
"This country takes in refugees directly from Syria. I think it's a reasonable policy not to accept ones who are already in Europe. "

We also give a huge sum of money to support refugees in or as near to their own homeland.
Every pound spent near to their home helps far more people than would be helped by taking them into the UK.

You put more people at risk( and many more die) by encouraging them to travel in dangerous seas etc than would die if they stayed where they are to get help in their own country, or the next safe country ( not the 14th or so safe country they pass through)

One Iraqi chap in the camp in Calais has refused to leave( to be safely accommodated in France which is already a safe country) and said' " If the camp us destroyed, I will burn myself in the road. "

So he does not get the choice of a safe haven of his choice, he would rather die.
This is not any longer about his safety,or he would have accepted the help he has been offered.

Post edited at 18:04
In reply to Jim C:

Good point. I hadn't noticed.

Deplorable. Thanks for the link, yet another reason not to vote for my constituency MP.
In reply to Jim C:

Yes, it's a more complicated issue than we first think. A few refugees may be more accurately described as economic migrants but there will be many more who are simply seeking refuge. I apologise again for posting this as news (I didn't realise this story was from April) it popped up in one of my social media feeds and I foolishly took it as today's news. It's timely in a sense though, with the demolition of the Jungle in Calais today.
 GrahamD 25 Oct 2016

Its an intersting standard 'we' seem to have. With children its "let them in, let them in" and as soon as they turn 18 its "why do they all want to come to the UK ? the country is full".
Jim C 25 Oct 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> Its an intersting standard 'we' seem to have. With children its "let them in, let them in" and as soon as they turn 18 its "why do they all want to come to the UK ? the country is full".

Alas even if we let kids into the UK, we cannot be sure they will be safe. if we just hand them over to people who claim to be their relations we risk handing them over to traffickers .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...