UKC

Raven Tor or Ravens Tor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 27 Oct 2016
Talking about the Miller's Dale crag here, not Dovedale - I've always wondered about this.

In climbing guides it's always written as Raven Tor (singular, no 's') whereas on the National Trust signs around the crag it's always Ravens Tor, in fact it's written as one word: RAVENSTOR.

Can't both be correct. Or can they?
In reply to stp:

The youth hostel above it is called Ravenstor. I am pretty sure that is the correct name.

Alan
 Paul Hy 27 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:

On OS it's Ravenstor so there you go!
OP stp 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

Seems to be:

'Ravenstor, towards Litton Mill, is a fearsome overhanging limestone cliff on which local rock climbers practise...'

http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/towns/millersdale.php

So not just the hostel. Seems to imply all the climbing guidebooks have the name wrong then?
OP stp 27 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:

Interestingly though the same web site uses 'Raven Tor' as a caption for a photo of the crag.
 Bulls Crack 28 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:

The Snore surely?
 Andy Moles 28 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:

Discrepancies in place name spellings are really common all over the country. They go back way further than the present tendency to standardisation. I used to live on a road that had a different spelling on the signs at either end. Look at old maps or travel writing, even from within the last century, and a lot of names are not the same as what is on the signs today.
 danm 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Andy Moles:

Yes but there must be one definite spelling, otherwise I'll have no-one to get angry at on here when they get it wrong and give me no chance of lording it over them with my supremacy. Ideally the name will have an apostrophe in it so I can put them right on that as well. Ravens' Torr would in fact be the ideal spelling for my purposes.
 john arran 28 Oct 2016
In reply to danm:

You missed the hyphen. Or is it a dash?
 danm 28 Oct 2016
In reply to john arran:

It's meant to be an underscore you pillock.I bet you top rope as well.
 john arran 28 Oct 2016
In reply to danm:

> It's meant to be an underscore you pillock.I bet you top rope as well.

I like to think I top-rope as well as the next guy, yes
 Stu Tyrrell 28 Oct 2016
In reply to john arran: I never thought you had a rope (always soloing)!

Mick Ward 28 Oct 2016
In reply to danm:

> It's meant to be an underscore you pillock.I bet you top rope as well.

Oh, the irony.

Mick
 danm 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Deliberate, and reeled in. Now I've won the internet, I'm off down the pub
 Rocknast 29 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:

Raven Tor I believe. If in doubt then ask the French they'll know. Even they have heard of that one lol
 krikoman 29 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:

It's Ravens Stores, they also sell crows and jays.
 pec 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> The youth hostel above it is called Ravenstor. I am pretty sure that is the correct name. >

But your own Rockfax guidebooks call it Raven Tor, perhaps you need to have a word with your writers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...