UKC

Northumberland numpty query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveriley 28 Oct 2016
In a long and undistinguished career I've somehow avoided ever climbing in the county. So if a fellow were in the NE next week where would you send them for a good time? I'll be equipped with moderate pulling power, shoes, newbie-ish daughter and piece of old carpet. After a decent choice of low-mid grade (F4,5,6) problems, low to the ground, perhaps the odd flattering grade relying on finger strength and rusty technique? Note old carpet - won't have a mat with us. Places like Bowden will be pretty close by. Somewhere quick to get your bearings would be good?
 MJAngry 28 Oct 2016
In reply to steveriley:

Dovehole Boulders

Dovehole Boulders

Lovely situation, sheltered by trees, looking over the Cheviots.
 Lemony 28 Oct 2016
In reply to steveriley:

I'd probably head to Bowden and Back Bowden. The best stuff there's a little high but there's plenty of excellent low stuff, traverses and so on and nice as Doveholes is, Bowden Doors is one of the best bouldering crags anywhere in the country.

Walk to the far end of BD for a bunch of easy warm ups and then work your way back to the car slowly over the course of the day.
 Hamfunk 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Lemony:

I second the bowden / back bowden option. Plenty to go at and high chance of meeting people with a pad.

Dovehole, while a lovely setting has quite a few highballs and i've found the rock to be of poorer quality. Definitely not one to gamble on in my opinion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...