UKC

Forest recreation ground Notts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 28 Oct 2016

I've heard rumours of bouldering on the sandstone wall and I need somewhere on my doorstep at the mo. I can't seem to find much on it online. Anyone know it or where I can a topo?
Post edited at 13:31
 ebdon 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Never heard of anything round the forest, I'd be a bit worried of the local yoofs running of with my shoes round there! The usual spots for this sort of thing is trent bridge or the university. Info is on the ukc databases if you havnt allready looked.
 winhill 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

I don't think there's been a topo, it's the wall beneath the road that runs uphill west to mansfield road, by the end of the original astroturf pitch.

trent building lake wall at the university is better, there is a topo for that.
 David Riley 28 Oct 2016
In reply to winhill:

Uphill east ?
 winhill 28 Oct 2016
In reply to David Riley:

> Uphill east ?

I think it depends on the rotational direction of the earth, but yes, east!
 David Riley 28 Oct 2016
In reply to winhill:

I used to climb over the Gregory Boulevard wall on my way home from school. But never ventured up that end.
What is it like ?
 winhill 28 Oct 2016
In reply to David Riley:

Not great, IIRC people used it for a bit of training, I don't know, maybe there was a topo and routes, gets high towards the end.
 winhill 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

AFK so PM'd you.
 David Riley 28 Oct 2016
In reply to winhill:

I imagine it's crumbling.
 jimmccall 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

I used to climb here in the summertime (back in the 90s when I lived just off Mt Hooton Rd) as did several other regulars. We regularly traversed the wall just under the road (which takes you to the pavilion). This is the wall at the top of a grass bank and looks north(ish) over the fenced football field and tennis courts...
I remember most holds involved pinching horizontally, and there were occasions when the hold would disappear between your fingers... (hence the traversing). It kept me busy.
Some friends in the south of the city could similarly be found traversing around the Trent Bridge pillars along the embankment. I think they were better than me.
 Andy Say 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:
Believe it or not there were some biggish faces on the old railway cuttings heading N out of Nottingham. I guess the ones near the Victoria Centre have long gone but you just might find something at the end of Camalot Avenue up by Carrington? I used to live on Central Avenue up there and sometime scared myself on those walls. Actually topped out once
Post edited at 15:32
Removed User 28 Oct 2016
In reply to jimmccall:

Used to train there a lot, mostly traversing for stamina as you can pretty much go anywhere and only really of interest if you restricted yourself to the surface of the blocks and eliminated the gaps between them where the pointing should go.
However I went back a few years ago for a nostalgic look and it looked like the whole wall was in a pretty bad state of repair.
If that wall came down on you it would really spoil your day!
 steveb2006 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Also used to use it a fair bit many years ago, worth a look but bear in mind what Ardverikie2 says. It faces north a so not ideal in cool weather. The height diminishes to the right (west), but gives a fair bit of traversing. As also stated the Uni wall above the lake is better (and faces south).
OP flopsicle 28 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Cheers all, loads of useful info for a bit of playtime when time's tight. I think I'm going to try the uni wall on sunday, Ive played a few times on Tb so will have to give forest rec a go eventually. Hopefully I won't pull it over!
Removed User 29 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

If you don't get buried under tons of mud and sandstone let us know
 jimmccall 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Removed UserArdverikie2:

Not like the Grit then...
Thanks for the update!
Jim
 pebblespanker 31 Oct 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

Noodeled abut on there in the 80's, very rare to see anyone else ... . Never saw a topo or talked to anyone who knew any established problems apart from the challenge to climbing directly to each supporting post on the metal fence above, they get spicier and a little harder as you go from right to left IIRC but its 30 years ago ... the traverse is OK for stamina but the rock is soft and not great quality and things tend to change, remember it will be more fragile after rain, watch out for canine 'landmines', keep spare gear with you or the LH end as you traverse don't leave it laying at the low end or it may be rehomed... Always preferred TB for stamina, better rock and it was quality training especially before they sandblasted the main tunnel walls Terrace wall at Notts Uni also excellent for stamina work - enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...