UKC

mental training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rusty Grylls 30 Oct 2016
anyone got any advice for mental training.
I get pretty scared on lead above gear, especially clipping.

I want to concur this cuz I boulder way harder than i lead

Cheers
 Luke01 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Rusty Grylls:
Fall practice is always a good starting point. Start small, work up. Lots of repetition, lots of variety (size, position, clipping etc). Very importantly - progress until you're taking actual falls as part of your climbing session, as in actually failing and falling rather than falling on purpose. Then keep doing it.

Hope this helps,
Luke
 Climbthatpitch 30 Oct 2016

One of the biggest things that helped me was realising to just stop, take a breath and remind myself that I can climb it.

Lee
 jon 30 Oct 2016

> I get pretty scared on lead above gear, especially clipping.

Look no further, everything related to this is laid out clearly and concisely in this thread: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=652329

stp 30 Oct 2016

I would get on harder routes and spend as much time doing that as possible. The more you get used to being off the ground, in an exposed position, taking falls, the less scary it becomes. It's not an instant fix. It takes a while but gradually you become 'acclimatized', you become more used to stressful situations, and they become less stressful. Going on a climbing trip for a few weeks is also a good way to 'normalize' the experience.

There's a good article here on fear and leading and not pushing yourself too hard...
http://cruxcrush.com/2014/12/15/a-step-by-step-approach-to-conquering-lead-...
OP Rusty Grylls 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Luke01:

cheers man i have been trying this but so far i have only been able to take 1/2 to 1 meter falls spose ill keep going

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...