UKC

cheapest easiest least technical/dangerous Euro mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 30 Oct 2016
pretty vague question but where would I go in Europe to walk/hike/easy scramble up mountains much, much bigger than what we have here in the UK?

There must be mountains you can get up easily without alpine mountaineering skills and ropes etc? And if I did want to get into that, would a winter climbing course be the best starter, or some other style of course?

just a few pointers would help thanks, I'm just curious.
 Doug 30 Oct 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:
So you want something high but without glaciers, parts of the Pyrenees would fit that descriptions, as would the lower parts of the Alps. Maybe the Alpes Maritime?
 olddirtydoggy 30 Oct 2016

German alps like Zugspitze could work as you can get a cablecar down if you're wasted. Watch out what time of year you go as the mountains go white in winter.
 Rog Wilko 30 Oct 2016

If you want to get into big snowy peaks you would need to do a course which teaches crevasse rescue. When you've mastered that and learned to walk in crampons a whole world of technically easy Alpine peaks opens up. Plenty of the 4000m peaks have safe and easy routes going at F, F+ or PD, eg Dome de Neige in the Ecrins, Gran Paradiso, Weissmies and Bishorn. And then there are hundreds more at sub-4000m. To be honest a lot of the non-snowy Alpine and Pyrenean peaks are more objectively dangerous on account of terrible rock. The main problem with these mountains is they've been falling down for millions of years and continue to do so.
An alpine starters course with something like ISM would be worthwhile.
 zimpara 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Doug:

That depends what you call a Mountain I guess. There are ordinary routes up alot of summits around chamonix for what it's worth.
Bear in mind that Facile (easiest alpine grade)- can have 2c moves in it, above monster exposure, and require abseils/scary downclimb. So not really a walk at all, and quite serious.

Mt beut 3000m north west of chamonix inspired me. Tis a long walk though.
 douwe 30 Oct 2016

Triglav is the highest peak in the Julien Alps.
Nice hike, nothing technical, great views.

Breithorn above Zermatt must be one of the very easiest.
 Doug 30 Oct 2016
In reply to John Stainforth:
But any thing with glaciers would involve 'alpine mountaineering skills and ropes etc', hence my suggestions for lower, non glaciated peaks, although they might not be easier, or even safer.
 mrchewy 30 Oct 2016

I tool myself off in winter to the high atlas on my own - no glaciers and 6 x 4000m peaks. I had been out in Scotland pottering about however. It was cheap, an adventure and I learnt a lot.
 iknowfear 30 Oct 2016

there are a few, like the barrhorn:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/highest-mountain-hike-in-europe.html

however, cheapest and switzerland don't mix!
 zimpara 30 Oct 2016
In reply to mrchewy:

Any tips for going and doing the same? Cheers
OP elliot.baker 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks some good stuff to think about here, I have no concept of alpine grades at all so I might investigate those a bit first.

I like the idea of doing course to open up a load more routes, thanks for that Rog Wilko.
OP elliot.baker 30 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Thanks, when you say "ordinary routes" do you mean "long-walks" or do you mean "crampons and abseiling but easy if you know how"?

If the former could you name a couple?

Cheers.
 mrchewy 30 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I bought the Cicerone ridges and scrambles guide, flew to Marrakesh on new years day, taxi to Imlil and wandered up to the huts. Booked in the first one for 6 nights to start with. Didn't really have a plan, so some days I went out with others but wanted to wander up Toubkal by the north face on my own. Backed off some other stuff as it felt sketchy but also soloed a new 800m route at about D+ with a South African I met, he was a sponsored climber on a trip and that pushed me out of my comfort zone by a large margin - soloing down an established D+ with short ice pitches and one ax felt fine at the time but...
I had a couple of nights in a nice riad down in Imlil and then went back up for another week. Whole thing cost me £300 back at the start of 2012 plus flights.
It just seemed a really safe way to learn self reliance on bigger hills. There's no mountain rescue, no phone signal, the hut warden isn't going to come rescue you if you mess up but there are no glaciers and you have plenty of easy walking routes, then PD+ couloirs, and ridges. I had soloed scottish 3 and even some tech IV, so wasn't a beginner but I'd never been on a rope in winter.

It was great trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...