UKC

Farage to made lord

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim 1003 30 Oct 2016

Farage to be proposed for Lords, probably more worthy than Chakrabarti at least....
Post edited at 18:36
 galpinos 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Did you mean to say, "All three UKIP leadership candidates have said they will try to get him a peerage should they become leader"?

Slightly different scenario?
KevinD 30 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:
> Slightly different scenario?

In fairness it is a fairly standard career path for professional politicians like Farage who dont get a seat in the commons.
Post edited at 18:52
 galpinos 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Quite right, I mean why do we want ex barristers and leaders of civil liberties and human rights groups? What we really need is more ex city traders and MEPs.

(I did right MP but then remembered he's never been a member of parliment)

galpinos 30 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Bloody hell, there's three UKIP lords already! I thought the party was only really Nigel and Arron "the money" Banks.
 jondo 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

how about Lord Corbyn to balance things out ?
 DerwentDiluted 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

We only want what's best, for Nigel.
 broken spectre 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

A sith lord?

Darth Farage
 winhill 30 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> Quite right, I mean why do we want ex barristers

Quite,

A barrister has been banned from the profession after he posted a series of ‘offensive’ tweets about Jews, Muslims and black people.

Ian Millard was struck off by a disciplinary tribunal after he was found to be expressing admiration for Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany in his tweets.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/30/barrister-banned-from-profession-following-of...
 DerwentDiluted 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Hang on just a minute,

Nigel runs a campaign based on the premise that we should take our country back from the unelected lawmakers.

And is rewarded by being made an unelected lawmaker.

'Tis a mad mad mad world.
 galpinos 30 Oct 2016
In reply to winhill:
Your right, that really undermines my point, which civil liberties and human rights group was this unregistered ex-barrister who hadn't practiced for 7 years the head of again?
Post edited at 20:04
 Pete Pozman 30 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I can imagine him making his maiden speech: "You all laughed at me. You're not laughing now! Who are you lot anyway? Has anybody heard of you?"
No doubt he would continue to be an adornment to our Great Democracy.

I remember the Private Eye front page with May curtseying to HMQ; the caption: "How low can you get?" "I've just made Boris Foreign Secretary."
We've a lot lower to go, I'm afraid.
 d_b 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Don't worry. Chakrabarti has been busily forgetting all that liberal nonsense she used to pretend to believe in since becoming a peer. Check the recent voting record.
 Greasy Prusiks 30 Oct 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> In fairness it is a fairly standard career path for professional comedians like Farage who dont get a seat in the commons.

Fixed that for you.
Andy Gamisou 31 Oct 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> We only want what's best, for Nigel.

Nigel just needs that helping hand.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Nigel runs a campaign based on the premise that we should take our country back from the unelected lawmakers.

Except, of course, that those lawmakers are not unelected...
 Trangia 31 Oct 2016
In reply to jondo:

> how about Lord Corbyn to balance things out ?

Do you imagine he would accept?
 Cú Chullain 31 Oct 2016
I can't think of any other politician still active, or even alive, that has managed to influence as many people as Farage has. Pretty much single-handedly he has grown UKIP from zero to four million votes in 20 years, got his referendum and then won it.
 Pete Pozman 31 Oct 2016
In reply to C£ Chullain:
And it might be his personal contribution that tips the American election in Trump's favour. At least Fartrage'll believe that. If you think you've seen Brexit, you ain't seen nothin' yet.
This really is the year of The Scary Clowns.
Post edited at 14:19
In reply to KevinD:

You mean Farage is a career politician. Wow, shock horror, he must have been lying.
 Pete Pozman 31 Oct 2016
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Fartrage is a Scary Clown. Halloween has never been this frightening before. At least not since the 30s
 aln 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

He won't accept it, he's a man of the people...
 jkarran 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Farage to be proposed for Lords, probably more worthy than Chakrabarti at least....

Define worthy.
jk
 alastairmac 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

If he gets a seat in the Lords he'll fit into that institution perfectly. Anti democratic, anachronistic, ineffective and ethically bankrupt. He ticks all the boxes.
cragtaff 02 Nov 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

How can you call him ineffective and anti-democratic? Without him there would have been no referendum and certainly no Brexit.

Its the whinging, re-moaners who are undemocratic demanding a re-run of the referendum.
KevinD 02 Nov 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> Its the whinging, re-moaners who are undemocratic demanding a re-run of the referendum.

So are you saying anyone who says a 52-48 result isnt decisive and would consider it unfinished business and worth fighting for a second referendum is undemocratic?
cragtaff 02 Nov 2016
In reply to KevinD:

yes, if the rules don't define a quorum and accept a simple majority.
In reply to cragtaff:

Oh the irony, Farage himself said that he would demand a re-run if the result was close, and he lost.
KevinD 02 Nov 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> yes, if the rules don't define a quorum and accept a simple majority.

Bit confused now. Since you seem to agree with alastairmac about Farage being undemocratic. so why go on about re-moaners?
 The New NickB 02 Nov 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> So are you saying anyone who says a 52-48 result isnt decisive and would consider it unfinished business and worth fighting for a second referendum is undemocratic?

I didn't think you would get anyone to fall for that simple trap quite so easily. Guess I am wrong again
KevinD 03 Nov 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I didn't think you would get anyone to fall for that simple trap quite so easily. Guess I am wrong again

I was working on the theory the brexit mob seem to manage to forget anything which no longer suits the cause rather quickly.
cragtaff 03 Nov 2016
In reply to KevinD:

No idea what you are on about.
 wercat 03 Nov 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

When did we have a democratic vote as to whether we'd hand parliamentary power over to the people. Parliament consists of our D E M O C R A T I C A L L Y E L E C T E D representatives who exercise power on our behalf.

Why were we forced to suffer a referendum when we never had a the choice of whether to have one? Your idea of democracy is s t r a n g e
cragtaff 05 Nov 2016
In reply to wercat:
We had a referendum on joining the Common Market, I imagine you considered that a democratic act, why then should we not have one to leave it? How is that not democratic?

If it is an issue that has never been part of a political party's election manifesto surely they have a duty to consult the electorate on that issue?

At the last election Cameron promised the electorate a referendum - so we had one - democracy! He won and we got one.
Post edited at 13:03
 EddInaBox 05 Nov 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> We had a referendum on joining the Common Market..., why then should we not have one to leave it?

That's a good point, although we have had a referendum to leave the E.U., we haven't addressed the issue of whether we should leave the European Economic Area (EEA - formerly the Single Market - formerly the Common Market) so we need a second referendum to find out what the people want.

> If it is an issue that has never been part of a political party's election manifesto surely they have a duty to consult the electorate on that issue?

That's another good point, since the 2015 Conservative manifest said "We want to expand the Single Market, breaking down the remaining barriers to trade and ensuring that new sectors are opened up to British firms." then the Government doesn't have a mandate to take us out of the EEA, the only way to legitimise such an action before the next General Election would be to hold another referendum.

Thank you for helping me clarify that.
KevinD 05 Nov 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> No idea what you are on about.

I was paraphrasing what farage said prior to the referendum when he thought he might lose.
 Pete Pozman 06 Nov 2016
In reply to EddInaBox:
That's a very good point indeed. The referendum is not a mandate to take us out of every alliance and international partnership we've ever been in. It is certainly not a mandate for May to define what "Brexit" actually does mean. Brexit doesn't have to mean out of everything. If we're out of the EU we're out of the EU. That's all it ever meant and if the Brexiters get that they will have had their portion. The rest is all to be debated... in Parliament.

(Perhaps Fartrage could be made a Time Lord and be dispatched to another dimension or something.)
Post edited at 13:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...