UKC

Just Starting Out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Joerama 31 Oct 2016
Hi,

Recently started walking as abit of a cost saving exercise (saving for a house) and have really got the taste for it and i actually love it!

So first of all i want to ask about essentials for mountain walking in winter.

I have a very basic equipment i.e. karrigmor backpack and boots also have a good north face summit coat which cost me about £300 so am just looking for information regarding places to go things I need etc?

I have done snowdon via Llanberis Path and also cat bells in the lakes and looking for more but am struggling finding decent info on walks and routes, also i am unsure on difficulties of routes etc.

Any info would be much appreciated, i am based in the north west England.

Thanks
 ChrisH89 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Joerama:
Walkhighlands has loads of information on walks in the Scottish Highlands if you find yourself up there (you should, they're great). Not so sure about lakes etc. As for winter walking you should be aware that it requires a lot more equipment and skills: the bmc link posted above should give you a good idea. Winter conditions can be somewhat ephemeral outside of the Highlands so you don't always need full winter equipment all the time: check out the "ground conditions in UK mountain areas" page on Facebook, regular updates get posted there throughout winter for lots of places, particularly lakes and North Wales. Make sure to read up on avalanche awareness and learn to read the forecasts, published by the Scottish avalanche information service (SAIS) for Scotland.
Post edited at 08:26
 HTPumlumon 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Joerama:

Learn to use a map and compass. Once you can do that, you can make your own routes, not rely on others.

That, plus the boots and coat you've already got are all you need to get started outside.

And I'd probably avoid anything too steep, too high or too white in winter!

I use this website to keep a log of the summits I've done, and plan my future walks http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/index.php

BnB 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Joerama:

Get a set of these for Christmas and you'll never want for a beautiful day out, nor miss the company of the Lakeland Fells at home on dull evenings.

http://wainwrightguides.co.uk

Masterpieces every one of them, although it wasn't until book 3 that Wainwright perfected the style.
 Trangia 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Joerama:
Winter hill walking requires skills best learned in the company of other more experienced people, and are good way forward is often to join a climbing/mountaineering club. Here is a link from which you should find a club or clubs near you

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/find-a-club

Contact some and ask if they do winter hill walking trips and if they are willing to invite beginners along? Many will and you will get to know people with similar interests. In spite of some of the posts you will read from time to time on this forum you will find that most climbers/mountaineers/hill walkers are a friendly bunch only too willing to welcome newcomers.

Good luck!
Post edited at 09:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...