UKC

Delamere Forest - sabotage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 01 Nov 2016
This just popped up on fb - http://singletrackworld.com/2016/11/trail-sabotage-or-attempted-murder/

Words fail me. I don't know the trail personally so can't say if those stakes a visible from far enough away to suggest deterent rather than intent to maim, but if you came across them at speed, you'd do yourself a nasty injury.
 lummox 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Unbelievable. Come across similar but less serious obstructions on local trails. How stupid or malicious do you have to be to think this is the way to express your dislike for people riding on " your" patch ?
 LastBoyScout 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

There's a similar new post on the Swinley Forest Mountain Bikers group on Facebook - your link has also been shared on there.

Seems someone has seen fit to put a plank with a load of screws through it across one of the trails, which shredded someone's tyres - better that than the feet one of the kids, walkers, dogs or horses that run around up there.

There are some nasty people out there.
 d_b 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I remember reading about something similar about 5 years ago. Nasty.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

These reports seem to be increasing; it started with the odd log put across the track, and seems to have escalated to wires strung between trees at head height, caltrops, stakes, etc. What next? bear pits and punji stakes?

The police really need to be involved in the more extreme incidents, if only so they're aware of what's going on. I can't see how they'd catch anybody at it.
 balmybaldwin 01 Nov 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Anyone know if they prosecuted the MP in wales caught on camera messing around with a track?

I do have some sympathy with Police, as without stationing 100s of officers in the woods at night there's virtually no chance of proving who is doing this... this is one area where i would think the police would appreciate the help of locals with camera traps

What I don't like is the tendency to dismiss this as "just kids" in my experience kids will do things that are un-thinking (including possibly putting logs across so they can jump them, but failing to clear the track after) in the main rather than the recent trend which is blatantly malicious
 balmybaldwin 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

And in reply to the OP, I would be amazed if a case couldn't be made for attempted murder - those stakes only possible purpose is to cause severe injury, especially as they are placed so they could only be seen at the last minute - the police should be up there finger printing them
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> the police should be up there finger printing them

Sorry to disappoint you, but you won't get fingerprints off materials like that.
 balmybaldwin 01 Nov 2016

I did wonder. forensics isn't a speciality!

I feared you may have seen too many episodes of CSI and the like...

Sadly, I have had a number of visits from SOCO/CSI...
 balmybaldwin 01 Nov 2016

That doesn't sound like a good thing in any line of work? What do you do?
 d_b 01 Nov 2016

The mistake they make in this country is trying to get close up and look for prints rather than take a grainy digital photo from half a mile away and then type "enhance" into a computer.

I'm a householder...
All the Gear, No Idea 05 Nov 2016

People have been caught Doing it, an MP was recently filmed by a "wildlife" camera putting logs across a trail
All the Gear, No Idea 05 Nov 2016

Reading through the mtb press where I originally saw this issue, there appears to be a little "explanation" as to the origin of the stakes,
It would appear they are the remains of the original jump contruction/box/dirt-enclosuure, which had become seriously damaged, and upended by some fool, not actually placed to cause harm.
There Have apparently been instances,,,,,years ago where a pit was dug and covered, resulting in a cyclist fatality,,,,,,,Apparently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...