UKC

It would nice if you could post pictures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 01 Nov 2016
Just wondering why the forum doesn't have pictures as standard?
 marsbar 01 Nov 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

I like it as it is. It doesn't waste resources loading lots of pictures and it's easier to read. You can put relevant pictures in the photo gallery.

> Just wondering why the forum doesn't have pictures as standard?

We have asked the question several times in the past, including as part of our readership surveys. It has always got an overwhelming 'no' from the users who say they don't want inline photos in posts. You can link and get a roll-over pop-up.

It would also be very expensive in extra bandwidth.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

How do you upload and get the roll over pop-up? I don't have a way to host images myself.
 balmybaldwin 02 Nov 2016
 marsbar 03 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks,

It's a bit naff to be honest, most forums I'm on you can just post pictures directly in your post without any hassle/approval... oh well!
Removed User 03 Nov 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Please don't use this awful system. It forces people to log in to view full size images (a horrible method of getting people to sign up to a message board).

It takes seconds to upload to imgur.com and then paste the link here.
Removed User 03 Nov 2016

> most forums

This isn't a forum. It's a message board because it's made up largely of older users who don't want to visit the 21st century.
 aln 03 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:

I'm an old person. Can you explain in a few sentences what imgur is, how it works and why I should use it?
 Luke90 03 Nov 2016

Neither of the images linked in this thread shows me a roll-over popup (Chrome on ChromeOS). How are images meant to be linked to achieve that?
 marsbar 03 Nov 2016

Most forums are full of unmoderated rubbish is the other side of the story. I'm old, I like things as they were
 marsbar 03 Nov 2016

Apparently Donald Trump stands a chance of becoming in charge of the big red button, what is so great about the 21st Century anyway? I remember the good old days, petrol was 50p a litre and beer was £1 a pint etc etc
Andy Gamisou 04 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:
> I remember the good old days, petrol was 50p a litre

50p? A litre??? Pah!

Ten bobs and gallons I would hope.
Post edited at 06:10
 veteye 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

I don't go back to beer before decimalisation, but remember it being between20 and 25p a pint.

In reply to Springfall2008- I wonder if I have climbed that 6a climb.It looks good.
Andy Gamisou 04 Nov 2016
In reply to veteye:

> I don't go back to beer before decimalisation, but remember it being between20 and 25p a pint.

That's more like it! Perhaps once we've completed the EU exit process we ca go back to good old imperial and ditch the metric nonsense.

I'll get me groat!

In reply to veteye:

> I don't go back to beer before decimalisation, but remember it being between20 and 25p a pint.

> In reply to Springfall2008- I wonder if I have climbed that 6a climb.It looks good.

Chepstow Killer Appliances (6a+) - yeh it's a good one and I was lucky enough to on-sight it

> We have asked the question several times in the past, including as part of our readership surveys. It has always got an overwhelming 'no' from the users who say they don't want inline photos in posts. You can link and get a roll-over pop-up.

The pop up doesn't seem to work? Besides surely that can be a user option if they enable inline images or not from their account settings?

> It would also be very expensive in extra bandwidth.

There are many free forums with them, so the economics must work.
 Hooo 04 Nov 2016

> This isn't a forum. It's a message board because it's made up largely of older users who don't want to visit the 21st century.

I'm an older user. Please can you explain the difference between a message board and a forum, and why the latter is better?
 aln 04 Nov 2016

I was serious when I asked about imgur. I had a look at it and I'm not sure how it works and what the point of it is.
 GrahamD 04 Nov 2016

> It's a bit naff to be honest, most forums I'm on you can just post pictures directly in your post without any hassle/approval... oh well!

But what value does that add to a discussion ? and how does that slow everything down when trying to use the forum over a dodgy phone signal ?
 Luke90 04 Nov 2016
In reply to aln:

The point is that if you have an image that you want to show in a post, you can upload it to imgur and paste a link in your post. The advantage of imgur (or any of a variety of alternatives), is that you don't have to wait for hours or days for somebody to approve the upload like you would if you uploaded the image to UKC.

Just click this button on the imgur.com homepage: http://i.imgur.com/zgeYSDS.png
 aln 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks.
 aln 04 Nov 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> But what value does that add to a discussion ?

It could be useful for those 'Please identify this route/bird/cheese' etc posts.
 marsbar 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

I'm post decimalisation.
 balmybaldwin 04 Nov 2016

The problem is that whilst some inline images would add to discussions before you know it, threads will be full of gifs and memes which make other "TapaTalk" forums unbearable places to be.

I much prefer this forum partly because posters have to take the time to articulate what they mean instead of just posting idiotic images and video clips.

The only other forum I regularly visit is the Autosport F1 forum, which uses the tapatalk engine and whilst it's good that you can post pictures of detail of the cars and tech in F1, the forums get so littered with gifs and memes that even on a Fibre connection it can seriously slow up my pc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...