UKC

Ireland - sport & easy trad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjekel 02 Nov 2016
Hi this is a question to the island communities west of the continent ...

where would you send a first time visitor to ireland on a family trip - for some easy sport/trad that is child friendly (the little mountain domina is 4). open to all suggestions ...

thanks in advance, thomas
 tistimetogo 02 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:

You're taking a 4 year old girl climbing? Fairplay.

Most of Ireland is trad. There are sport locations but I've not visited them.

There is a database here
http://wiki.climbing.ie/index.php/Irish_Climbing_Route_Database#Introductio...

If you're up north I recommend the Mourne mountains. Lower cove is an area with lots of variety. It would probably take you an hour to walk in from the car park.
http://wiki.climbing.ie/index.php/Lower_Cove

If anyone suggests Fairhead to you be aware that the routes are long, hard and have a serious feel to them.

OP tjekel 02 Nov 2016
In reply to tistimetogo:

thanks for the first hints ...
 GrahamD 02 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:

The friendliest in terms of accessibility top and bottom that I can think of is Daley near Dublin
 Aigen 03 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:

There is no Sport Climbing in Ireland. With a small child I would recommend going to Glendlough in county Wicklow bouldering. The walk in is very nice (Flat and on a super good path). Its very pretty there and the bouldering has great landings.
 Dave Williams 03 Nov 2016
In reply to Aigen:

> There is no Sport Climbing in Ireland.
That's what I thought too.

> With a small child I would recommend going to Glendalough in county Wicklow bouldering.
+1
Otherwise +1 for Dalkey, where there are quite a few Mods and Diffs.
 wheelo 03 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:
Another Dalkey vote, a bit polished but nice handy venue.
 Toerag 03 Nov 2016
In reply to Aigen:

> There is no Sport Climbing in Ireland.

How come? No suitable rock?
 Noelle 03 Nov 2016
In reply to Toerag:

There are strong traditional climbing ethics in Ireland. Bolting is not encouraged in the vast majority of crags, to keep the environment as natural as possible. Most of the rock is granite and has adequate possibilities for natural protection.

There is a bolted quarry near Kilkenny (Ballykeefe) but the bolting style is very different from European standards and is only there "as a last resort" in case you fall off. You might find the spacing very varied or wide apart. Its also like most quarries, a hole in the ground. Much prettier to go to Dalkey or Glendalough.
 Conor1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:

Cruit Island in Donegal is very child-friendly. Lots of short VDiffs, non-tidal approaches and nice beaches. http://www.uniqueascent.ie/cruit_island_guide
OP tjekel 04 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:

thanks all for lots of information to ponder!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...