UKC

How do you find climbers to share gear with?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
outthereinit 03 Nov 2016
How do you guys normally find people to share cams or other gear with? Is it difficult to share with other climbers? What's the best way to find someone, for example, that has 2 #6s or 5 #1s? Do you share ropes as well?
In reply to outthereinit:

Form a team/ climbing partnership!?
 ogreville 03 Nov 2016

You follow the golden rule - don't make friends with anyone until you have an itemised list of the gear they possess.
"A 30m wall rope and two cams? - Walk on".

An alternative I always four was to 'borrow' a rack from any friends who have just had a baby. You'll not need to return it for at least 1.5 years.
 timjones 03 Nov 2016

You don't.

You team up with other climbers that have similar climbing ambitions.
 ripper 04 Nov 2016

just join a club!
 GrahamD 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ripper:

^^^
This

When I first joined a club, the people I climbed with had only just started themselves - maybe a years experience. My first rack consisted of 2 cams because thats what fitted in with their racks the best.
 GrahamD 04 Nov 2016

By the way I would now normally climb either on my partners rack or on mine. Saves faff most of the time. Of course sometimes you need to augment with the odd bit but I do find it simpler to stick with one rack or the other.

Most of my climbing is on two half ropes and its normal for me and my partner to bring a rope each
 GridNorth 04 Nov 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I would say that this is the most common solution but it can lead to issues when deciding who's gear to use. If I'm leading the crux pitch I prefer to use my own gear otherwise I don't really care. If we are alternating leads and there are two crux pitches then we would have a problem but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...