UKC

Overnight parking near wintors leap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 04 Nov 2016
Does anyone know a carpark / lay by near wintors leap where we can park up for the night in our (discreet) camper van. We'd be getting there pretty late and leaving early.
 Oogachooga 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

There is a bit of parking at the top of Wintors, down the small lane (tells you how to get there on the UKC listing). Always see a couple of vans there, not sure if they overnight though, seems like it's fair game.

Alternative is to Google a couple of pubs in the area, prefer to stay at one of them to be honest. Hot food, lounge and beer in the evening is nice.
OP ewanjp 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Oogachooga:

Will probably get there after closing! But worth a shot. Cheers for the tip on the lane.
 nniff 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

I rather thought that there are signs up at Wintours Leap now asking people not to spend the night there or on the Pedestal ledge.
 jezb1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:
I used to park up on the lane by Wintours but there is quite a lot of signage around the place now saying it's not allowed so I'd suggest parking elsewhere.

Haven't found a new spot yet I'm afraid so can't help with where that might be.
Post edited at 11:05
 Max factor 04 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:

Is the Rising Sun still there?

They used to let us camp in their beer garden. Must have been valuable customers!
 Luke90 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Max factor:

The Rising Sun is closed. Looks like it has been for some time, actually.
 jezb1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Max factor:

Been closed for yonkies sadly.
 Luke90 04 Nov 2016
In reply to nniff:

I got the impression that the camping restrictions were more about camping down in the valley. Couple of threads here on UKC about it:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=648293
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=641848

Discreet van-camping on Lancaut Lane (arriving late, leaving early and leaving no trace) seems unlikely to cause any problems. I've done it a few times with no issues.
 GrahamD 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Max factor:

> Is the Rising Sun still there?

> They used to let us camp in their beer garden. Must have been valuable customers!

I remember camping on their dog shit covered lawn a few times, and walking round the road to the bogs in just my pants. They used to sell some evil cider that made you do funny things.....
 jezb1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Luke90:
> Discreet van-camping on Lancaut Lane (arriving late, leaving early and leaving no trace) seems unlikely to cause any problems. I've done it a few times with no issues.

You may be right but there are signs in that parking area about it not being allowed.

james.slater 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

I think the parking spot underneath Wyndcliffe is ok for a stealth camp. Ive certainly done it before with no issues. Its the other side of the river and will require you to drive back to Wintours in the morning if thats your chosen crag, but its not far.
It goes without saying to leave no trace!
 SGD 04 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:

Have the sign's only just gone up?

I was there a few weeks ago and parked right by the big Kestrel Carving and we didn't see any so clocked it as a potential stealth camper spot.

In reply to ewanjp: When we were down that way in a not at all discrete motorhome we spent four nights in Forestry Commision car parks. One was underneath Wyndcliff (2 nights) and the other was a few miles from the Hunters Pub. I'm sorry if that's vague but this was in the summer and no one batted an eyelid.

jezb1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to SGD:

End of Sep was when I was last there, the sign was on the notice board at the far end of the parking, plus a few notices on the walk ins to the crag, although I wouldn't be surprised if they've disappeared.
OP ewanjp 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:
Cheers all - having looked on street view the wyndcliffe FC carpark looks perfect, and will avoid any risk of winding the locals up. That said, I seem to be sick as a dog so probably won't be going!
Post edited at 16:22
 Jim Hamilton 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Luke90:

> Discreet van-camping on Lancaut Lane (arriving late, leaving early and leaving no trace) seems unlikely to cause any problems. I've done it a few times with no issues.

I've been "moved on" by Gloucester Wildlife Trust ? operatives after midnight. I did wonder if I had parked on the actual road rather than the parking area, they would have had any grounds to do so.
 ian caton 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

The parking for Devil's Pulpit. 10 mins north of wintours, same Rd, on LHS. Big parking area, well away from climbing, no trouble to anyone.
OP ewanjp 05 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

We parked in the devils pulpit carpark in the end - was fine - thanks for the tip. We did park up the lane during the day, and there are no signs about overnight parking that I could see - however I suspect the devils pulpit location will annoy the locals less if anyone else has this quandary in future.
 Bobling 05 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

Regardless of whether any of the contributors to this thread have done it with no problems or not the official advice that I have seen has always been DO NOT overnight in Lanacut Lane, as it risks souring relations with the locals and Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust. Encouraging people to do this on a public forum is irresponsible. Seems there are some other options available so please use them instead!
OP ewanjp 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Bobling:

Indeed. I didn't - as above.
 Bobling 05 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

Sorry - I realised that you had not but was making it clear for anyone else who might read the thread!
Removed User 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ewanjp:

There are signs forbidding overnight parking in the Lancaut Lane park, as well as wild camping, fires, etc. anywhere in the Nature Reserves. Th`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````e signs can be found at the far end of the car park and as you start to descend to the north end of Wintour's amongst other places. Please will everyone observe these as non observance is seriously compromising access to the major crags of both Ban-y-gor and Wintour's Leap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...