UKC

Homebrew: strong % American IPA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 04 Nov 2016
Thinking of starting a Bulldog Evil Dog Double IPA that finishes at 7.5%. Had a sampler in local shop and it tasted great. However, thinking it may take a while to condition (using a pressured keg) and want it ready by Christmas. Anyone tried this kit, or similar strength and views on how long it takes to be fully ready?
Lusk 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:

Can't really help you, but ...
I've just started homebrewing and the trouble I'm having is secondary fermentation.
My house is too cold, but my last batch (MasterPint Czech Pilsener) I took round my mates much warmer house for two weeks and it's turned out alright after three weeks bottled.
I've got 40 750ml bottles of Belgium Brewferm Ambiorix 6.5% that need to go round his house at the moment and 40 pints of pale ale that I'm about to barrel up today.
Love it, saving a fortune!
 Doug 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Lusk:

long time I brewed any beer but when I did I often used a heating belt around the dustbin I used for the primary fermentation (at the time I was living in a series of cold, mostly damp, cottages/houses in NE Scotland). Ensured that fermentation was continuous and fairly quick. Once organised, its no problem if the secondary fermentation takes a bit longer, and a bit of time to mature usually improves the beer
Lusk 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Doug:

Aye, I've got a fish heater dangling in the barrel for my first ferments, only takes about 3 days.
mick taylor 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Got into beer making 12 months ago (but have made 100's bottles hedgerow wine). The thing I cant get over is the quality of some of the 2 can kits. More expensive (say £25 for 43 pints) but require no sugar. Try a Muntons American Style IPA. One of the best beers I've ever tasted. Many of these kits have hop sachets to add at certain times (some early, some late - all interesting stuff).

The initial fermentation is best done as cold as possible,but the second does indeed need warmth. Many home brewers do big batches in winter coz the summer months are often too warm for quality fermentation. And watch your back carrying that barrel to your mates!!
 knthrak1982 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:
I don't brew with kits these days and haven't had good results with anything above about 6% so haven't tried anything this high for a while.

For all my beers I do secondary fermentation in the keg, warm (about 18deg) for maybe 5 days to create a bit of gas, then drop it to serving/preserving temperature (10deg). After a week I consider it drinkable but it will get better with further ageing (even at lower temperature).

My point is, you need some warmth but not much and not for too long.
Post edited at 12:33
 kathrync 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:

My partner did this kit last year: http://www.brewstore.co.uk/american-beers-american-ipa-beer-kit#product-med...

Not quite as strong as yours but a similar style. I seem to remember being pleasantly surprised how quick it was ready (5-6 weeks or so iirc), but the last bottles were definitely better than the first ones so we should perhaps have left it a little longer than we did.

As someone else said, we put our primary fermentation in a tuff-bucket of water with a fishtank heater in it. I think the benefit of this for us at least is temperature stability rather than warmth.
 Baron Weasel 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:

Do it, it will be fine for Xmas. It's a nice kit, dry hopped with extra Citra when I made it.
 Baron Weasel 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I'd suggest doubling or tripling your yeast as well for a good fermentation
 snoop6060 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:

Assuming its a highly hopped beer, like every double IPA should be, you want to be drinking it fresh anyway.

I have just pitched a 1068 black IPA which will be defo ready by christmas, though that will be forced carbed. Even allowing 2 weeks in primary, 1 week dry hop (still in primary in my case) and naturally carbing (extra 2 weeks all being well) it I'd still expect an IPA to be ready by christmas. Use a fast, bomb proof yeast like nottingham or SO5 and you will be fine.
 snoop6060 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:

Sorry, I should add that the very best 2 things you can do with brewing beer are not bother with kits, all grain is really very simple albeit time consuming. And even more importantly, build a temp controlled fermentation chamber from an old fridge if you have the room. You will quickly be brewing beer as good as most beers you can buy once you get the hang of the different yeasts that make the different styles of beer. Yeast and the conditions (mostly temperature) you give it are really the most important thing with making good beer.
 joem 04 Nov 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

any suggestions of where to get recipes from?
 jkarran 04 Nov 2016
In reply to mick taylor:
Never tried the kit but you have nearly two months, it should be fine.

Re heaters and the like: in several years of brewing and fermenting in unheated and barely heated houses, without supplemental heat on the vessel I've never had a brew fail, some run very slowly but never yet had one stop or fail to get going (makes mental note to check rhubarb wine which may not have got going during the cold turn this week).
jk
Post edited at 16:10
 jkarran 04 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

A book or a web forum. I'd get the book, it may not be the ultimate solution to the best brew but it's far easier than wading through reams of opinion, some expert, some tosh.
jk
 Baron Weasel 04 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

Try the brewuk forums!
 snoop6060 04 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

I generally use Jim's beer kit forum or use the book radical brewing by randy mosher.

That said it's not that hard to make them up when brewing reasonbly straightforward styles like IPAs or British ales. Though my main focus is attempting really authentic German and Belgium styles and when doing do I stick to recipes and the correct ingredients (I.e from that country).

I do like brewing saisons as well and they are kinda anything goes as long as the yeasts is right and it ends dry. Good style to experiment with.
 andi turner 05 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

Graham Wheeler's book is a good starting point.

I do mine as a boil in the bag, saves sparging.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...