UKC

Snowfall in the Scottish mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Walker 04 Nov 2016

A fair bit of snow now starting to fall in the Cairngorms, lets hope this is the start of a great winter!

See https://highland-webcams.com/cairngorm-mountain/ptarmigan/2016/11/04#147826...
Post edited at 14:24
 joem 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Ron Walker:

Is Kinder in yet.
 Simon4 04 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

In what? Derbyshire?
 Andy Say 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Ron Walker:

And 50 'are winter conditions in...' threads start.
 joem 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Like Christmas it would be nice if people could restrain themselves till december
 DannyC 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Ron Walker:

And they're off: Fingers Ridge (IV 5)
 Andy Nisbet 04 Nov 2016
In reply to DannyC:

Yup; it was good!
 Andy Nisbet 04 Nov 2016
In reply to DannyC:

I give it IV,5 if you do the final wall.
 Michael Gordon 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I give it IV,5 if you do the final wall.

Seemed fine at tech 4 to me. A few III,4 pitches so low in the grade IV,4 overall.
 French Erick 05 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

Why? Do climb when it's wintry. It might be bone dry for Christmas. I think it might be worth a punt myself.
...just hoping the weather is bad enough to put the fear weather climbers off. I prefer it when not too crowded, so in retrospect, yes do restrain yourselves
 rogerwebb 05 Nov 2016
In reply to French Erick:

I don't suppose you are ill on Tuesday or Wednesday by any chance?
 DaveHK 05 Nov 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

Erick's immune system is strangely affected by conditions in the NW highlands...
 French Erick 05 Nov 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:
I wish I could be ill at will!
I do apologise it should obviously read fair weather.
Sod those tablets which change what you write!!!
Post edited at 18:38
 Andy Nisbet 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I think it's harder than Pygmy Ridge, and that's graded tech 5.
 rogerwebb 05 Nov 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Well even if the north west is out (though it may well not be) I think I may be looking for a fool to do the Seam with, their prospects of actually reaching the foot of it will admittedly be poor but you never know!
 Steve Perry 05 Nov 2016
In reply to rogerwebb: Davy Moy is looking for a partner on Monday.

rogerwebb 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Thanks

Unfortunately I will have to work on Monday.

Steve Perry 05 Nov 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

I think he may be free over winter, if you're needing a partner at some point.
 planetmarshall 05 Nov 2016
In reply to rogerwebb:

Suitably jealous of all of you, I'm unlikely to be back in the UK until February. Bah.
 rogerwebb 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Thanks good to know
 Michael Gordon 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I think it's harder than Pygmy Ridge, and that's graded tech 5.

I found it easier. Will put it down to 'conditions'.
 manicpb 06 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

The snow gates at Tomintoul were closed today, looking good for an early start to the winter climbing season.

Snow gates closed as wintry weather hits Cairngorms - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37888463
 Mike-W-99 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Ron Walker:

Passed Beinn Udlaidh this morning and the embryonic icefalls are already visible from the road. I didn't realise they started forming so quickly.
 weejimmy 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Ron Walker:
Went for mosey in cairngorms today and Potter up hidden chimney and ewen buttress. more snow than expected in the northern Corries today and still reasonably wild. Snow is fairly deep in places on final approaches to corie an t scnechda. Cliffs are all well rimed. Turf as expected is only frozen where exposed and thin so be careful if climbing routes with turf. Lochain was similar. Snowed up rock routes all In condition.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Nov 2016
In reply to joem:

> Is Kinder in yet.

Almost certainly. We were on Bleaklow yesterday - there was ice on some of the paths and we had a blizzard for half an hour. So the queues have probably already started to form.
 Hugh Simons 07 Nov 2016
 DaveHK 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Hugh Simons:
> > Coire an Lochain in the Cairngorms yesterday!

That's me and Erick. Amazed by how much rime there was but buried turf is not frozen so be careful.

Did you guys finish The Hoarmaster? Sounded like you weren't having the easiest time.
Post edited at 11:28
In reply to DaveHK:

Dave, was it you I was talking to at the bottom of Savage Slit? You guys looked like you were having a good day.

We came close, but it wasn't to be. Quite a bit of clearing and I spent 20 minutes trying to mantle onto the belay on pitch 1!!

Hugh took a 15/20 meter fall from the final moves of the route. It was a pretty serious fall and since it was getting late the best option was to abseil off from the belay.

Another time!

Hugh Simons 07 Nov 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

We almost finished it. I got to within about 1 metre of topping out but the 'easy' corner at the top was very tricky with poor feet and no good axe placements.. took a pretty big fall so we retreated. Our gear is still up there! Pretty gutted!
 DaveHK 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Hugh & Martin:

It was Erick you spoke to as I was leading. Years ago I took a similarly massive whipper in similar conditions off the Overseer Direct. On a lighter note, we had a very mellow day with no dramas whatsoever unless you count our cafe of choice being closed.

rogerwebb 07 Nov 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> with no dramas whatsoever unless you count our cafe of choice being closed.

No cafe, no points!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...