UKC

Congratulations Andy Murray!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Congratulations Andy Murray!
Reigning Olympic and Wimbledon Champion, and now the official WORLD NUMBER 1 male tennis player.
Awesome.
Post edited at 14:50
 Yanis Nayu 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Mr Justice Cocklecarrot:

Brilliant!
 upordown 05 Nov 2016

Yes, brilliant news! Hurrah!
 Rob Exile Ward 05 Nov 2016

Yeah; good guy. Virtue (he and his mum's) rewarded.
 BnB 05 Nov 2016
And his brother world no 1 at doubles in the same year. Proud parents.

Here are three reasons why Andy's achievement is all the more remarkable:

Federer
Nadal
Djokovic

To overtake these guys with their 33(!!) grand slam titles puts the achievement in stellar context. So pleased for him, his family, and British tennis.
Post edited at 20:14
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
Congratulations indeed but I have never understood the media's constant need to refer to his Mum. So can I please let it be known that I really admire Mrs Djokovic, Mrs Nadale & Mrs Federer for what their sons have achieved.
 Chris the Tall 05 Nov 2016

all the more remarkable because his second biggest win of the season - the Olympics - doesn't count towards his ranking, but definitely had an impact on the US tournaments - the US open being the only one of the last dozen where he hasn't made the final

P.s. For accuracy he isn't No 1 yet, not even sure if he will be on Monday, all depends when the points from London drop off, which is different to other tournaments. Hopefully it won't just be a one week reign, but it's quite possible
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I believe she was the first female coach in Scotland, certainly she played a very significant role in the boys coaching and development, so more than 'merely' a mum.
 mbh 05 Nov 2016
In reply to BnB:

> Federer
> Nadal
> Djokovic

> To overtake these guys with their 33(!!) grand slam titles puts the achievement in stellar context. So pleased for him, his family, and British tennis.

43, not 33, so all the more a measure of the company he has been keeping.

BnB 05 Nov 2016
In reply to mbh:

Oops. I was quite proud that I'd remembered 17, 14 and 12. Back to school
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> all the more remarkable because his second biggest win of the season - the Olympics - doesn't count towards his ranking, but definitely had an impact on the US tournaments - the US open being the only one of the last dozen where he hasn't made the final

> P.s. For accuracy he isn't No 1 yet, not even sure if he will be on Monday, all depends when the points from London drop off, which is different to other tournaments. Hopefully it won't just be a one week reign, but it's quite possible

That's my understanding too. Andy Murray isn't number 1 yet and has a huge task ahead of him to become number one. He has to win another match and that will be very very hard. I think he is wonderful but I won't under estimate how much he has to go through to achieve this.
In reply to I like climbing:

No, he will be No 1, regardless of the result tomorrow. Just not sure if it will be this Monday or next

> No, he will be No 1, regardless of the result tomorrow. Just not sure if it will be this Monday or next

Apologies ! I just heard he's number 1. Brilliant !

He'll be Number 1 in the ATP Rankings released tomorrow.
 Chris the Tall 06 Nov 2016

And he wins in Paris, 4 titles in 5 weeks, 8 in the year, including a slam, the Olympics and now 3 masters (1000).
Gives him a buffer of over 400 points, so a good chance of finishing the year as No 1. Mind you there's 1500 on offer in London, with 500 in the final. Would be fitting if the season ends with a Djokovic - Murray final with the top spot for the winner
 WillRobertson 07 Nov 2016
Worth remembering that Novak is the reigning champion from London so is effectively only defending his points, Murray is the one with ground to gain. And considering his relatively poor form at the start of this year (Australian Open aside) and Novak's excellent form, I see no reason why he can't build a solid lead in the rankings over the next 4, 5 or even 6 months.
Post edited at 09:09
 Chris the Tall 07 Nov 2016
In reply to WillRobertson:

> Worth remembering that Novak is the reigning champion from London so is effectively only defending his points, Murray is the one with ground to gain.

No, this is the anomaly that had me wondering if he would be No1 this week or next. Unlike every tournament, the points from the world tour finals drop off before the event, rather than after it. i.e after 50 weeks, rather than 52. This is because qualification for the finals is based solely on the calendar year. Without that anomaly, Novak would still be No 1 for the time being.

> And considering his relatively poor form at the start of this year (Australian Open aside) and Novak's excellent form, I see no reason why he can't build a solid lead in the rankings over the next 4, 5 or even 6 months.

This is correct, and even if Novak goes on a another amazing winning streak, he could regain No 1 after London, but lose it after Indian Wells or Cincinatti

As you may gather I love the stats side of tennis - it really adds context to these lesser events. And when I hear some cycling fans ridiculing the notion of a year long narrative, I have to disagree.

Pedro50 07 Nov 2016
World No 1 all seems a bit pants to me. At the end of the day it's how many slams you win. If you keep losing in finals you could be No 1 as other sundry randoms sweep in and win a single slam. Stan has won as many slams as Andy, where is he ranked (5?)

p.s I am a big Andy fan
Post edited at 11:33
 Edradour 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Pedro50:
> Stan has won as many slams as Andy, where is he ranked (5?)

He's ranked number 3 behind Murray and Djokovic.

Wawrinka has won 3 slams but IIRC only one other ATP title. Murray has won 3 in the last month. Slams are important but they are only part of professional tennis.

I reckon Murray will get another couple (hopefully Australia in Jan with the confidence from the #1). If he does, by an standard, he'll be alongside the greats.
Post edited at 11:59
In reply to Pedro50:

Stan is 3 (but half as many points), and would still be 3 if you only counted points from the Slams.

It's a fair point that he has won as many slams as Andy (3), but drill down a bit deeper and the gap is enormous - 8 times runner up, 2 olympic golds, and 14 masters (Stan has won just one)
 WillRobertson 07 Nov 2016

Interesting, thanks for correcting me!
 The New NickB 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Wawrinka is 3 in the world. Rankings show consistency, particularly in major events as the points are heavily weights towards the slams and the masters series.

Yes Murray has only won three Grand Slam events, but he has also won two Olympic singles titles and a Davis Cup. I suspect he will have two or three years as the dominant player, before he is surpassed by younger talent. Maybe not to the level that Federer or Djokovic have managed, but I think he will add to his Grand Slam titles fairly regularly.
 felt 07 Nov 2016

Do tennis people still talk about the Big Four?
 BnB 07 Nov 2016
In reply to felt:

Andy and Novak have each appeared in 3 out of 4 of this year's grand slam finals where Federer and Nadal have no more than a semi final between them. While every tennis fan yearns for one more fortnight of glory from either of the latter, it's fair to say that tennis has a big 2 today.

Stan is a fascinating outlier. Don't choose him as your opponent in a final. His record is 100%!!

How strongly will Djoko bounce back? Murray's could be a short reign but the maths works in his favour for the next 6 months at least.
In reply to felt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_(tennis)

you can only really judge these things after a few years, but I'd say the big 4 era is over - Fed finishing the year at 16 and Nadal at 8 or 9, both struggling to be fit and neither much of a threat when they have played. Never write them off, but I don't think Fed will make it back to the top 4, and not convinced Nadal will either.

The draw for the WT finals has just been made and I've got a feeling Djoko will be regaining the top spot - Murray has been drawn against SW, KN and MC - the last 2 players to beat him, and the US Open winner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...