UKC

Algeria Visa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 06 Nov 2016
I have to get a visa for Algeria (quickly). I go out next Sunday. I haven't been able to surrender my visa to the embassy in London until now because I've been on the road, working outside of the country.

Does anyone know what my chances are of securing a short visa (for a series of presentations to Algerian govt departments; I am being contracted by an EU body to do this).

I looked on their website & to be honest it doesn't look hopeful (5-10 days minimum to obtain the stamp, preceded by copious form-filling).

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
In reply to Greenbanks: I had a similar rush job to get a Sudanese visa last year. In the end, with the time restraints I had, I went to London and they turned the thing around in 24hrs (overnight).

As you are going there officially you must be able to use some sort of leverage to spped things up. I would get yourself to London ASAP young man.

OP Greenbanks 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Thanks - they are open from 9 on Tuesday to 'receive applications': I intend to be waiting for the key to turn
 Matt250 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

I've had 3 Algerian Visas in the last couple of years for work and the shortest time it's taken is 2 weeks to get the passport back. The longest is 3 weeks. My visas we're all submitted through a checking service we use at work and I believe they make the process as fast as possible. From my experience it doesn't sound like it's going to be possible to get one in that amount of time.

For future travel and visas I'd recommend getting another UK passport if you travel for a work a fair bit. It's extremely useful and allows you to apply for visas and travel at the same time. If you ring the passport office they'll tell you what's required to get a second passport.
In reply to Greenbanks: Be prepared with all the passport photos they require, as well as the cash to pay. Being patient and good natured is - as usual in Arab countries - a necessity. Good luck.

OP Greenbanks 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Matt250:

Thanks - that's really a big help (if rather disappointing news)

Cheers
 Matt250 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

Just having a quick look on the website it looks like they'll do it in 10 working days if you submit in person (I wouldn't rely on this time though). I've only done the postal application which seems to be a slightly slower process.

http://www.algerian-consulate.org.uk/visas/visa-to-algeria
 iamniccage 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

I went over to Algeria at the end of last year - i dropped the passport of in person and collected it in person 7 days later with it issued. Hopefully you get it sorted in time.
 Scarab9 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Matt250:

> For future travel and visas I'd recommend getting another UK passport if you travel for a work a fair bit. It's extremely useful and allows you to apply for visas and travel at the same time. If you ring the passport office they'll tell you what's required to get a second passport.

this post is a couple of days old now so hopefully you've got something sorted and this is probably too late, but might help someone.

1st - Matt250's advice is good.

2nd - there are some Travel Agencies or specific visa sourcing companies (the TAs tend to use the visa companies but you might not be able to get direct service from them) that get very quick turn arounds. It pretty much comes down to specific individuals having a good relationship with the embassy and so getting favorable treatment. Might be worth a ring round a few.
(based on genuine experience, used to work as a Business Travel Agent for years and had to arrange visas including some at very short notice that normally wouldn't be permitted if not for the above)
OP Greenbanks 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

Cheers all for the great responses.

I went in to the Algerian Embassy today, armed with documents (double checked etc) and all the required documentation.

It was a decent outcome: the guy (very pleasant & helpful) just collected my papers (plus £85) and after about an hour of hanging around waiting for his boss, told me to return on Friday this week (i.e.4 days) to collect the visa. I was told that they'd 'make an exception' this time.

So - a real result. Lessons learned too!

Thanks again for your various inputs - appreciated

)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...