UKC

New waterproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Davidwi 06 Nov 2016
So yesterday my trusty yellow hard shell decided that it was going to spit its zip off.

I'm not looking to get a new jacket but I'm tight and only want to spend around £100.
It must have:
A helmet hood
Able to cope with downpours
Breathable

Any ideas was looking at the rab nexus go outdoors has it at £110 but they don't have my size.
 Dell 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

Can't you just get the zip fixed/replaced?
OP Davidwi 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Dell:

I'm going to get the zip repaired and keep it as a coat I don't mind trashing. So I'm still after a new one.
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

I've just bought a Berghaus Arran which I got for £110; I'm very happy with the design and although I haven't tested it yet in really trying condition all the reviews seem to indicate that it will be fine.

Jandwilson 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

Possibly this jacket: http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-mens-hydra-stretch-2-5-jacket-p366016#tabs
Really decent price of kit, worth considering
 EddInaBox 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

What size are you, I've just bought one of these and it seems pretty good but I haven't had a chance to give it a proper testing yet:
http://hightoroutdoors.com/products/polaris-bike-wear-granite-waterproof-mo...

It has been discontinued and I've only seen it available in limited sizes but the original price was upwards of £130 pounds. It has long zips on mesh pockets that can be opened for ventilation, a hood that fits over a helmet but it doesn't roll up or detach, no hanging loop on the collar, and a little window on the wrist so you can read your watch... when it hasn't misted up.
 EddInaBox 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

Did a little bit of searching, also available here in other sizes, but more expensive:
http://www.ubyk.co.uk/catalog/search_results.php?searchwords=granite&se...

Or Fleabay # 151955411598
 TobyA 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

For that price Decathlon will be your best bet. The new Alpkit ones look good but still above your budget. Sadly, besides 2nd hand I think you'll struggle to find a serious mountain waterproof with a good hood for that price.
 Dave the Rave 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

Look on eBay for a proper jacket that has a Velcro or pressed stud zip closure. These are pre 2004 jackets but much better than today's 'waterproof zip' lightweight shite.
Recently got a brand new berghaus for my wife for £45. Proper hood, gore tex 2 layer with mesh lining. Lightweight and pukka.
OP Davidwi 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Davidwi:

Well I went and tried on numourous jackets today rab latok, ME lohtse and the berghaus 8000 extrem which I would say is possibly excellent but the price of £450 was a little excessive but I did try a berghaus hybrid which felt spot on for me, got it for £133 online after quickly googling it before paying so we shall see but it did have an very large hood and a fit that sat very nicely on me.

I had thrown my budget out the window so was really just looking for a jacket that fit well and even the lohtse didn't quite do it for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...