UKC

Climbing around lake Garda Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Cook 06 Nov 2016
Repost after my earlier mistake.

Parents have just booked a holiday to lake Garda Italy, next summer and thankfully have said I'll have chance for a few days climbing. Can anybody recommend a few crags/ routes that are easy enough for my younger brother to try and then have some more challenging routes for me to try.

Thanks
 Andy Say 06 Nov 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

Head for Arco, young man, and look around! It all depends on what sort of grades you are after and whether you have transport - but the possibilities really are huge!
 olddirtydoggy 06 Nov 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

Theres some great via ferrata round there. Che Guevara is the best route.
 kenr 08 Nov 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
> via ferrata ... Che Guevara is the best route.

Best for what?

My experience on VF Che Guevara was:
* lots of loose rock from other parties.
* not much opportunity for climbing moves with hands + feet directly on the rock.
* arduous descent w tricky routefinding
. . . (unless you work out some not-fully-legal car shuttle high on west side of mountain.

Rino Pisetta (with a car / bike shuttle at Ronza for the descent) is great for climbers (but few moves directly on rock?)
Monte Albano is good (now that it's re-opened).
Rio / Torrente Sallagoni is very fun.
Rio Secco is great _with_ lots of interesting moves with hands + feet directly on rock

Ken

olddirtydoggy 08 Nov 2016
In reply to kenr:

So the route wasn't sanitized enough for you?
I thought it was challenging and great.
 beardy mike 08 Nov 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:
Arco as Andy says has more rock than you can shake a very flexible stick at. Cima SAT via Ferrata is easy and spectacular. Very long too and gets you high above the lake so a lot cooler. Which you'll want if you are there in the summer! Hot and humid doesn't even begin to describe it if you are there in high summer... Arco will be better in that respect being a little bit away from the lake.

In reply to olddirtydoggy: don't - KenR has his views on Italian VF and that's that
Post edited at 17:16
 kenr 09 Nov 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
> So the route wasn't sanitized enough for you?

"sanitized"?

I'm out developing new (non-via-ferrata) rock routes all the time. I normally return home with my fingers and face covered with dirt, and scrapes and cuts from vegetation.

I had none of that when I finished VF Che Guevera.

My problem with loose rock from other parties above is not cleanliness. It's getting seriously hurt. Even if that outing had been more exciting for me, it still would not have been worth getting bruised or broken by a a high-speed missile.

Ken

Andy Say 11 Nov 2016
In reply to h.cook2000:

Don't worry. You don't HAVE to do a VF. A roadside spot near Arco where you can find shade is Massi di Gaggiolo Much nicer and shady most of the time is La Cosina They'd both be good for your brother. Hard to advise on 'challenging' routes without knowing what sort of grade you are after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...