UKC

Hiking down or synthetic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ep-3po 06 Nov 2016
Hi guys and gals .
I am looking for a nice down/synthetic jacket for day and weekend hiking. I was set on the rab microlight alpine but reviews say it is not good in a hiking environment where you are always on the go in respect that it will be to warm and uncomfortable and it's best suited for a lot colder weather than the UK or when stood or sat stil .
Now I obviously want it to be warm when needed but is the alpine to warm for hiking is their a good alternative jacket that you all use ?

Synthetic or down but way proof/resistant is not a must as I have a waterproof shell if it rains.

Thank you
 Guy Hurst 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

For actual walking, a light fleece and a windshirt are much more useful for me than either a down or synthetic insulated jacket. I occasionally use a very light synthetic insulated gilet made by Montane on the coldest of days, but anything more than that and I overheat. My down and sythetic jackets are for when I'm not on the move.
 OwenM 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

Do you really need an insulated jacket to walk in? I carry a Rab Xenon vest (waistcoat) for keeping warm when stopped etc. If it's very cold i.e. blowing a blizzard in the highlands, then I have worn it under my cag occasionally but that would be too warm normally. I also carry a patagonia primaloft over the head type top in winter for when something hits the fan, normally only wear it in the cafe at the end of my walk.
The Rab microlight would be fine for keeping you warm when stopped or in emergencies.
ep-3po 06 Nov 2016
I own a mountain equipment lightline and when I went hiking in France it was quite cold up the top and it was great so I thought winter hiking in Wales lets get a similar jacket just less bulky. No I have ordered a fleece but would like the extra protection if needed. Someone mentioned TNF thermoball as they are super light.

In reply to ep-3po:

Synthetic is traditionally better in damp conditions as it does not lose its thermal qualities when wet in the same way down does.
 SenzuBean 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

Are you wearing thermals underneath that too?
 zimpara 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

I've got a ME Lightline, a montane Prism and an arc'teryx Incendo windproof to pick from. The windproof is the dogs danglies! The prism can get atrocious with a pack on, and the lightline, well, you know...

I did have a Haglofs down chill jacket (fantastic) from Gooutdoors £115 with another 10% off currently with a code. (November3 or something) But it was a bit light for me, perhaps it might suit you? Great hood and pockets on them. Worth a punt with their excellent returns no quibble arrangement.
 Ardo 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

Have a butchers at the Patagucci Nano-Air. Picked one up cheap and deeply impressed.
 ChrisH89 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

The Arc'Teryx Atom LT was designed for active use, having stretch fleece panels on the sides. It's also ridiculously comfortable and comes in lots of bright colours

That said I mainly use it for climbing (winter climbing and chilly autumn cragging) where I'm not moving as fast as when I'm slogging uphill. A £25 berghaus fleece would probably do the job for that most of the year as long as you have something windproof too (not really warm enough by itself for winter mountain use though).
 Mi|es 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

I have the jacket you're interested in. I bought it for between climbs and it suits the purpose well. I probably wouldn't recommend it for walking though (unless you're only going for a casual stroll) as I end up taking mine off when I'm doing steeper hiking.
ep-3po 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Mi|es:

What one is that miles . Rab microlight?
 bouldery bits 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ep-3po:

Synthetic in the UK I'd say!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...