UKC

Li-ion Jump-starters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Anderson 07 Nov 2016
Thinking of getting one of these...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/winter-essentials/winter-...

On paper they sound really good, but my van's a 2.5 diesel which is right on the limit of what they're supposedly able to start.

Anyone tried one, or something similar?
 NaCl 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:

My p.o.s astra van failed on me a while ago and some good samaritan jumped my with one of these type jobs. It started mine so easily that I was asking him about it with a mind to getting one myself. He def' seemed a convert and was saying how good it was and that it'd start his which was some Pajero (sp?) type 4x4 monster.
OP Phil Anderson 07 Nov 2016
In reply to NaCl:

That's good to hear. I've definitely heard good things about the expensive ones.

Looking on Amazon there's loads of cheap ones on the market but then most of the reviews look obviously either fake, or paid for so hard to say if they're actually any good. Still pondering whether to buy one.
 NaCl 08 Nov 2016

Sadly I can't remember the brand that the guys was although I made a note at the time. I looked at the one he had on Amazon and it was about 60 quid or so so it wasn't a bank breaker. It had a red panel on the top if its any help?

You can always take it back if it doesn't work I suppose.
 Spengler 08 Nov 2016
Got a jump start from a guy once with one of these sort of things. Started a Jeep 4.0 V6 first time. He wasn't sure if it would work, as it was way above the suggested size, but it did.
Post edited at 09:06
 timjones 08 Nov 2016

> Thinking of getting one of these...

> On paper they sound really good, but my van's a 2.5 diesel which is right on the limit of what they're supposedly able to start.

> Anyone tried one, or something similar?

Looking at the tech specs on that pack I'd say that it may be OK if used early with a lightly discharged van battery and if your van is a good starter. I wouldn't bet on it cranking a diesel engine over for very long if it doesn't fire first time.
 Oliver Houston 08 Nov 2016

I bought a cheaper amazon one (35ish)... Haven't tested it on the car, but it's stopped charging my phone effectively: charges for 2 mins, stops charging, will charge the phone if I reinsert the charger every 2 mins, but is a bit of a ballache.

Wouldn't bet on it being effective anymore after 6 months occasional use charging the phone while camping.

So, maybe... but might be worth investing more money if you're likely to need it.
 timjones 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Oliver Houston:

> I bought a cheaper amazon one (35ish)... Haven't tested it on the car, but it's stopped charging my phone effectively: charges for 2 mins, stops charging, will charge the phone if I reinsert the charger every 2 mins, but is a bit of a ballache.

That sounds more like a charging lead or phone issue than the charger itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...