UKC

Anyone pre-brexit buying?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 07 Nov 2016
Just looking at the age of some of my gear and thinking I should be replacing some stuff soon. My 11 year old single rope being the main concern, although it's seen pretty minimal use and has been stored in a dark cupboard.

So I'm wondering if I should get out quick and snap up a few deals before prices start climbing in response to the piss poor pound value?

Anyone got any insight as to when prices in climbing shops will start heading North?
 Timmd 07 Nov 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:
I've had similar thoughts, you've probably got little to lose in buying now, compared to if things go as badly as feared for the value of the pound. If things don't go as badly as feared, I guess you'll either make no saving, and any regrets over not buying later on with a stronger pound will be offset by other things not being as expensive as feared - making you feel generally richer anyway?*

*I 'think' this is what i meant to write, but I didn't go to sleep till 4am, so if it doesn't quite tie together put it down to that...
Post edited at 22:43

Everyone's starting to do it already. I don't know about climbing gear, but things like white goods (e.g Bosch) and computers. Once the stock runs out, the truth will start to hit people between the eyeballs .. well, in their wallets.
Lusk 07 Nov 2016

Smacks of panic buying to me.
Why not just buy a new rope when you actually need to, instead of wasting your money on something you've already got.
 Timmd 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Lusk:
> Smacks of panic buying to me.

> Why not just buy a new rope when you actually need to, instead of wasting your money on something you've already got.

If a rope is along term expendable, and any new one he buys will end up being used before it's shelf life ends, I'm thinking it probably isn't a waste of money?

...unless he could better spend it on something else, otherwise he's just stocking up on rope he'll eventually use.
Post edited at 22:46
In reply to Timmd:

> I've had similar thoughts, you've probably got little to lose in buying now, compared to if things go as badly as feared for the value of the pound.

I don't know what you mean by saying 'if things go as badly as feared for the value of the pound.' It's already down by a massive 18%. Harsh truth.

I don't know about you, but I look at that sickening graph about 3-4 times every day now, I'm so concerned. It picked up quite a bit at the end of last week after the judges' ruling, but it's still desperately crippled.

Timmd 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> I don't know what you mean by saying 'if things go as badly as feared for the value of the pound.' It's already down by a massive 18%. Harsh truth.

> I don't know about you, but I look at that sickening graph about 3-4 times every day now, I'm so concerned. It picked up quite a bit at the end of last week after the judges' ruling, but it's still desperately crippled.

I know about the 18%, I had in mind further devaluing so that life becomes something like living in a poorer eastern European country. Though it's hard enough for the disabled now, I wouldn't say it's as grim as that overall.

At least exports have gone up.
Post edited at 22:51
In reply to Timmd:
> I know about the 18%, I had in mind further devaluing so that life becomes something like living in a poorer eastern European country. Though it's hard enough for the disabled now, I wouldn't say it's as grim as that overall.

Well, as an impecunious writer, I'm already feeling it now. Hope it's not as bad as you say. But there don't seem any grounds for realistic optimism. Here it is right now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/12/intraday.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/12/twelve_month....

OK, yes, re. exports. I got a bit of 'extra pocket money' recently when my book 'Fiva' was bought by a Polish publisher.
Post edited at 22:56
 Timmd 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
There don't seem many grounds for optimism currently, no, I'm sorry you're feeling the pinch already. As a way of heading that off, I'm thinking of buying a cookery book I heard off about how to live on around £10 a week (though I have more than that to spend), and switching to food shopping at Aldi.

I think some very dark phases have taught me the lack of value in worrying, in having had things become much brighter than I feared, and losing close family within the space of six weeks being something I'd never thought to worry about, which pretty much means I've given up on worry - when my mind remembers I have . It's a helpful thing to cultivate. On which note I'm going to bed with an empty head.

I hope things improve.
Post edited at 23:18
In reply to Timmd:

> There don't seem many grounds for optimism currently, no, I'm sorry you're feeling the pinch already. As a way of heading that off, I'm thinking of buying a cookery book I heard off about how to live on around £10 a week (though I have more than that to spend), and switching to food shopping at Aldi.

> I think some very dark phases have taught me the lack of value in worrying, in having had things become much brighter than I feared, and losing close family within the space of six weeks being something I'd never thought to worry about, which pretty much means I've given up on worry - when my mind remembers I have . It's a helpful thing to cultivate. On which note I'm going to bed with an empty head.

> I hope things improve.

Thanks for this really nice comment. I'm probably more robust than I let on, because, like you, I live very frugally and (what you don't know) have also had some quite dark phases. So that, deep down, I'm not really a worrier for myself. I suppose the best way of describing my present mood (re. world/UK affairs) is demoralised and rather depressed, because so much of the civilised values I most believe in seems to be being ridiculed and undermined, and so much of this 'nonsense' seems entirely unnecessary and suggests a deeper malaise ... roughly equivalent (forgive me for being a teeny bit intellectual now) to Nietzsche's concept of 'ressentiment', which is just so incredibly relevant to Brexit right now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...