UKC

Sick Cat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 08 Nov 2016
My 5 yr old cat was sick 4 times yesterday whilst I was out. He ate a bit of tinned tuna last night but then today he hasn't eaten anything at all. He had a few dry biscuits availaboe but didn't touch them or even the tuna which is his favourite thing. Despite not been sick today, he seems very subdued....definately not usual self. When should I consider taking to a vet?
 toad 08 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:
Can only talk about dogs, but as a rule of thumb if you're considering if you should take a sick animal to the vets, it's time to take it to the vets. Small animals will get dehydrated v. Quickly if they've been sick and aren't rehydrating.

JayPee630 08 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

Now.
 marsbar 08 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

Is he drinking ok?
 Fraser 08 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

Now.
In reply to jules699:

Phone the vets NOW. (Don't waste time asking on a climbing forum.)

Discuss things with the vets - they should happily discuss the problems with you, and then you'll be able to have a far better view on whether you need to get seen straight away (and how much that will cost) or whether it will wait till first thing tomorrow morning.

Ron (an Emergency Vet at VetsNow Colwyn Bay)
OP jules699 08 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

Just rang Vetfone and spoke to a nurse. She said keep in him and try make him eat and ring vet. During the call he got up, began walking about and had literally a few dry biscuits from his bowl. So will keep any eye rest of night and re-asses in morning first thing.
OP jules699 08 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:

A bit.
 Fraser 08 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

Well done and good luck to you and the furball.
 Lankyman 10 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

One of our cats got very ill last year (but she is about 15 yo). She was off her food, throwing up and had bloody diarrhea. The first vet had her on injections which had to be repeated when the symptoms resurfaced which was about evrey 4 to 6 weeks. All very distressing for us (and her!). Another vet at the same practice took another view and prescribed two sets of tablets and the difference was amazing - pretty much back to normal (she's on my lap as I type). Unfortunately, she drinks a lot of water so is probably in the early stages of renal failure (common in older mogs). Her brother is as indestructible as a tank. A word about tuna - we sometimes use the stuff in spring water to get her tablets inside but too much protein isn't a good thing for cat kidneys and the briny stuff definitely isn't good for them.
 AP Melbourne 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jules699:

As others have said: Vet - ASAP.
May've eaten something nasty from the garden but 5yrs old is pretty young.
We have nasty snakes down here but cats generally come out on top but may be subued for a day or so if bitten.
Water, food & love ... AND A VET CHECK.
Best wishes.
AP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...