UKC

Cross channel ferry prices?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 10 Nov 2016

I've got to book some channel ferry crossings for the winter. Although I pretty much know my dates it's not impossible that plans will change. Do prices tend to go up nearer the time in the Jan-April season or can I afford to wait?
 john arran 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Might depend on which currency they're priced in!
In reply to Postmanpat:

Oh, the irony abounds. PMP worrying about the extra costs of taking a holiday on the continent.
OP Postmanpat 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> Oh, the irony abounds. PMP worrying about the extra costs of taking a holiday on the continent.

Cheeky sod !

(Obviously I shorted sterling long ago
Post edited at 12:21
In reply to Postmanpat:

Cheekiness is about all we can fall back on now that the power to do anything about it really has been taken away from us and all we have to help us is Mother Theresa.
 Lemony 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

They do usually go up in my experience, yes.
 1poundSOCKS 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Although I pretty much know my dates it's not impossible that plans will change. Do prices tend to go up nearer the time in the Jan-April season or can I afford to wait?

The Brittany ferry crossings (Portsmouth/Plymouth to St. Malo etc.) go up quite a lot if you don't book very early (or at least the Bilbao ferry did when I was checking it last year), but the Dover to Calais P&O crossing doesn't seem to change much.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Cheekiness is about all we can fall back on now that the power to do anything about it really has been taken away from us and all we have to help us is Mother Theresa.

I thought the High Court had given us back the power?!
In reply to Postmanpat:

Thankyou to those who resisted schadenfreude to give me a helpful answer!
 Trangia 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

In my experience they tend to go up, as do the tunnel fares. If you are looking at one of the longer routes such as Newhaven/Dieppe where you might want a cabin for a night crossing, the cabins go quickly, so the sooner the better if you want one.
 MG 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Perhaps worth knowing that if you buy the cheapest fixed time ticket, rather than the slightly flexible but more expensive ones, P&O will at least sometimes let you on an earlier ferry if you turn up early.
 Jim 1003 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

They don't really go up, I use them all the time. MG is right if you get there early they always let you on an earlier one. It's still worth avoiding Calais, it always seems to the main target of strikes as well as other issues.
 Toerag 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Condor Ferries (Poole-Guernsey/Jersey/St.Malo) definitely increase their prices nearer the date of travel. By what extent I'm not familiar. Now they have 2 boats instead of 3, popular dates fill up and get expensive relatively quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...