UKC

Swanage Sunday - weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Francois R 11 Nov 2016
Hi,

Heavy rain with S wind is forecasted tomorrow Saturday.
And sunny weather with N wind is forecasted Sunday.

How likely will the cliff be climbable on Sunday (rough sea, wet and greasy wall...)?

Last time I went to Boulder Ruckle on 4 Sept I can remember was unclimbable on the 1st 15m or so because of the rough sea... We had to climb on a close but short cliff called Subliminal, but I would not climb there again.
So I am wondering if it is worth driving 3h to Swanage on Sunday.

Thank you
Francois
 Cheese Monkey 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francois R:

Forecast is for pretty calm sea Sunday? Should be alright. I would definitely go.
 La benya 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Well I plan to be surfing just down the coast on Sunday. Forecast is for 3ft swell which in my experience is a little too close for comfort at a lot of swanage. Maybe ok at low
 La benya 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francois R:

Are you set on trad? Cos it could be prime connies for Portland with the clear skies.
 Fakey Rocks 11 Nov 2016
In reply to La benya:

Not 3m?
In reply to La benya:

Really? Ive climbed there in much bigger many times. 3ft is not going to get the crag wet. At all.
 oldie 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francois R:

North wind means the south-facing cliffs at Swanage should be warm in the sun. You can easily look down from points such as Marmolata Buttress, Boulder Ruckle or the abseil ledge at Guillemot to check sea conditions OK.
OP Francois R 11 Nov 2016
In reply to oldie:

Hi
Yes I know the place.
The problem is I don't really want to drive 3h to find out we can't climb...
The question is : will the sea still be rough after the wind has turned?
I may go to Portland instead as suggested.
Thank you
In reply to Francois R:

I wouldnt think twice in my opinion a 3ft swell with a N wind is not rough. Only one way to know for sure mind.
 La benya 12 Nov 2016

3ft swell and 3ft waves are very different, but if you'd go that's fine. I wouldn't bother after all this rain anyway
 La benya 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Francois R:

I would head to a sun trap crag like the cuttings tomorrow. There has been a lot of rain here overnight.
 Cheese Monkey 12 Nov 2016
In reply to La benya:

I don't see your point?
 La benya 12 Nov 2016

Which point sorry?
3ft wave is different to 3ft swell? As in one is liable to get the crag wet and one is not.
Or the fact that mine is just an opinion based on my experience, as is yours, so it's cool that we differ.
Or the one about not bothering to go as it's pissed it down all night and is still going here?
 CurlyStevo 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Francois R:
I tend to be optimistic, but you have to be in the U.K. To get much done.

2-3 foot surf on magic seaweed is not much for swanage and the low tide being at 14:15 is also perfect. The rock dries out well in the sun. Greasiness can be a problem in high humidity especially in the morning at this time of year. But I don't think this will be a big problem tomorrow from mid morning onwards. Given the forecast I expect swanage to be a sun trap and feel very nice in the middle of The day for climbing. North wind is ideal at this time of year. The mud top outs can be slow drying during the winter. I would advice gulliemot ledge as most the climbs don't have bad top outs as they top out in to a quarry (avoid the ones around zo zo). If the sea is looking a bit too rough just go and clip some bolts in the sports quarries, although I think you'll be fine.

The deeper cracks like legend direct (which is normally greasy on the crux IMO) will tend to be slower drying.

Watch for a sudden drop in temperature towards the end of the day as it can take you by suprise during the cooler months.
Post edited at 11:00
 CurlyStevo 12 Nov 2016
In reply to La benya:
2-3 foot is not much for many areas of swanage. Sure I wouldn't head to Comorrant Ledge and cattle troughs can be a problem especially if there are the odd larger waves coming through, but many other areas will be fine IMO
Post edited at 11:01
 Cheese Monkey 12 Nov 2016
In reply to La benya:
Neither will get the crag wet, particularly with a N wind. Sunday looks like a perfect forecast for me I would be there with no second thought. Swanage is a sun trap...
Post edited at 11:02
 CurlyStevo 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Francois R:

Did you get out?
 La benya 14 Nov 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Well, the swell never materialised so I hope he did!
 cbonner 14 Nov 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

We went to Seacombe yesterday. It was perfect Swanage weather, and the sea was dead calm there.
 CurlyStevo 14 Nov 2016
In reply to La benya:
as mentioned 2-3 foot surf on http://magicseaweed.com/Kimmeridge-Surf-Report/11/ is not too much for Swanage anyway especially with a north wind. It was sort of my local crag for 5 years as my folks live close by and its the closest trad to brighton where I lived.
Post edited at 15:06
 La benya 14 Nov 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I wasn't looking at magic seaweed. As I mentioned I was looking for 3ft swell, not waves. It just never materialised, as is the way with forecasting. It was also my local.
 CurlyStevo 14 Nov 2016
In reply to La benya:

The swell on magic seaweed is just the height of the waves before they come ashore the surf is the approximate height when they break. the forecast yesterday was for 3ft surf, which as mentioned is fine for many areas of Swanage, the low winds at the cliff base would have helped to stop spray coming up too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...