UKC

Alpkit sending the wrong stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 routrax 12 Nov 2016

I got another incorrect order from Alpkit this week. I like their stuff and it's very reasonably priced, but it seems like they take no time to make sure they've packed the correct items.

Is it just me who gets sent the wrong items or does everyone get messed up orders?

Edit: this is the 3rd or 4th order in the last year thats been wrong.
Post edited at 12:12
 TobyA 12 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:

Nope, never. I've ordered lots of bits and bobs from them over many years and have never had a wrong order. I'm not a total fanboy, not everything has lived up to their normal high standards, but delivery has always been flawless.
OP routrax 12 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

The customer service had always been good, although I've never actually returned the incorrect stuff, just been gifting it to friends.

I'm a bit sick of doing that though!
 TobyA 12 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:

Oh dear! How many times have they done this! Perhaps my experience isn't so usual, but if it is you seem to be really unlucky! Then again Planet X have slightly messed up a couple of orders I've made there, which probably means something like 1 in 5 of orders I've made with them have been wrong.
In reply to routrax:

Nope. Ordered several things over the years, prompt delivery and no problems.

Stuart
 Andy Say 12 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:

> Is it just me who gets sent the wrong items?

Yup.

OP routrax 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Aw, I feel special now!
 Indy 12 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:

Reminds me friend bought an item got sent the wrong thing and Alpkit customer service found it rather funny got sorted but friend wasn't happy.
In reply to Indy:

Must have ordered About 25/30 items over the past few years for friends & family never had any problems with incorrect orders or customer service......
I do notice the prices are starting to go North tho
 The Potato 12 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:

Same, no problems here. What are you hoping to achieve by this thread btw?
 Indy 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

The OP is airing a perfectly valid point. Why do you feel the need to question there motives?
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

> I do notice the prices are starting to go North tho

It's hardly Alpkit's problem that the pound has taken a dive recently... See threads passim
OP routrax 12 Nov 2016

Just find out if they have an issue with getting the orders right.

I've already stated that I like their products, prices and their staff are very helpful, so I'm not totally bashing them. I'm sure if they did have an issue in this area they would take this on board and work on making it better.
 Andy Say 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Indy:

> The OP is airing a perfectly valid point. Why do you feel the need to question there motives?

Well, to be honest, the post 'The customer service had always been good, although I've never actually returned the incorrect stuff, just been gifting it to friends.' is a bit strange. Have Alpkit been actually told they were wrong? Has the incorrect stuff actually not been returned to Alpkit for them to correct the issue?
 The Potato 12 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:
Not negatively questioning just curious, knowing isn't going to change anything, I'd just contact alpkit and let them know how many times it's happened to you, I don't understand how finding out what others think is going to change how alpkit operate
But there may be some other motive I haven't considered
Post edited at 17:26
OP routrax 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

I've always contacted them when an order has been incorrect and they have always been nice to speak to and offer to exchange.

I'm my specific situation it's a pain as I don't get post delivered to where I live and I have to travel to collect it, using public transport or a 2 mile walk. So to then have to travel again, for about an hour or so round trip to send something back is a real pain in the ass and if the item is low cost, I generally can't be bothered.

I really don't think I'm wrong in expecting to get the stuff I actually ordered, am I?
In reply to routrax:

What did you order and what did you actually receive?

Stuart
OP routrax 12 Nov 2016

I'd like to think that if they knew this was an issue, they'd fix it.

Anyway, I was only interested in finding out if this was a common problem or not.
OP routrax 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Ordered a micro fleece jacket, got a jumper style one this time. Had a wrong size t-shirt and a trangia instead of a cooking mug thing before. Can't remember what the other thing was.
 Nbrain 13 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:

I've had a jacket in the wrong colour recently but just kept it similar to yourself.

I think they are just getting busier and logistics not keeping up.
Removed User 13 Nov 2016
In reply to routrax:
Many years ago I worked in a small outdoor/gear shop and received a box of jackets from Buffalo, all of which were missing their hoods, so I rang them and was told: "Ah yes, sorry about that. It was our packing technician's birthday that day and he was pissed. We'll send them now."

In case this puts anyone off Buffalo, this was about 25 years ago, and they were brilliant to deal with.

To return to the OP, FWIW, fair point for asking on here if anyone else has has this problem with Alpkit. I can't help but think that they are likely a small business set up and run by outdoor people rather than business people so they sometimes make mistakes that shouldn't really happen. It can even be one member of staff who is either willfully useless or going through a rough patch that can effect this. I'd be more concerned with how they respond, (though unless you make hundreds of orders with them I'd be a bit miffed at so many errors coming your way too). I had issues with cock-ups by Mountaineering Designs a few years ago but they made good and I'd go back to them again, whereas Spa Cycles screwed up an order (and thus a holiday) of mine and didn't give a toss, so I don't use them anymore.
Post edited at 18:21
 Indy 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Mistakes happen to everyone but when it looks to be becoming a habit..........
 TobyA 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:

You always had to buy Buffalo hoods separately! Did you ever get in their undies? Fibrepile lined jock straps basically. Very weird.
In reply to TobyA:

I still have a pair of Buffalo Pertex Boxers.
A fantastic concept, wash & wear every morning, a constant wedgie when walking though!!

Pile lined might have added more weight/structure to the shorts, sounds interesting to wear!

Stuart
Removed User 13 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I've seen them, never owned a pair. Looked like they came from the arctic dept of Anne Summers.

Stuart: The ultimate in unacceptable outdoor underwear is Patagonia's capilene pants with windproof 'packet jacket' at the front to stop your wee man freezing. They work, but my god they stink after a day on the hill. I'd hate to think what they'd be like after a sweaty multi-day epic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...