UKC

Buying gear from America ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 13 Nov 2016
I know this has come up before, apologies if its recently, does anybody have any recent experience of buying kit from American websites (or trying to and failing ) ? Just browsing for gifts for the OH and have seen one or things considerably cheaper. However when I get to the checkout using my uk address the site freezes , no "we cannot ship outside us " though .
 Guy Hurst 13 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

Some US sites will ship to the UK, others won't. There doesn't seem to be any logic to which ones do what. I wouldn't buy anything from a US site just because it's cheaper than in the UK. By the time you factor in postage costs, VAT, import duty and handling charges you usually end up paying more than the UK price -- sometimes a lot more.
OP mike123 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:
Just completed an order, site says vat and duty paid , dhl global shipping free but usd 60 handling charge , I will report back when shiny clicky things are in my greasy penny pinching palms (or not).
Thanks for looking all.
Post edited at 10:33
 Indy 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

> Some US sites will ship to the UK, others won't. There doesn't seem any logic to which ones do what.

Yes there is a logic and reason. Recently bought a Vitamix as a wedding present oddly even after UK taxes it's still 30% cheaper when bought by an American consumer in America. Take a look at the REI website and they're a bit more honest in admitting that companies impose a ban on selling abroad. It's why the U.K. is known as 'treasure island' lots of companies make most of there profits here.

Also worth bearing in mind.... what happens if the item sent is the wrong size, color, missing bits, damaged, lost or needs warranty work. If you're a regular traveler to the US then it might be worth it but not worth it otherwise in my view.
OP mike123 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Also worth bearing in mind.... what happens if the item sent is the wrong size, color, missing bits, damaged, lost or needs warranty work.
Isn't that " ukc for sale " is for ?
We will see .

Aigen 13 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

you will most likely have to pay import tax. This will make it more expensive than buying locally.
 Indy 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Aigen:

> you will most likely have to pay import tax. This will make it more expensive than buying locally.

Surprised by the "will" bit in your second sentence.
 MG 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Indy:

Have you seen the exchange rate of late?
 Indy 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

It's all relative just as the £ has collapsed (thanks Farage) prices here have had to go up to compensate.
 TobyA 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Aigen:

I've bought skis from the US that you just couldn't get in Europe. I figured the VAT that I would have to pay as they came into the EU (this was to Finland, not the UK) so factored that into the cost. Years back we ordered stuff from MEC in Canada and had to pay tax on that on arrival too. I don't remember but we might have been young and silly enough to not realise this would happen! It seems bigger parcels do seem to attract attention of customs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...