UKC

Planning for the end of the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 13 Nov 2016
Any tips on what to do given the likelihood of a much less stable world in the future, what with Brexit, Trump, and quite probably another European shock from Italy or France or somewhere? Planning for nuclear war is tricky, but what about other things? Move investments? Change career? Move country? Should I buy a rifle, just in case?
 Dave the Rave 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:
It's a frightening turn of events isn't it? For some people. Others live in fear on a daily basis, not just your politically displaced migrants, but those living in Britain without much cash.
I'm glad there's now some fear in those with 'investments'. Yes. Buy a rifle. Have you been watching Zulu?
 broken spectre 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Stockpile dried peas, they're cheap, keep forever and you can live off them for months. Although if the world outside is an irradiated moonscape I guess you're just delaying the inevitable.
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

In the last upheaval - when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, and things started to look decidedly sticky - the West Coast of Ireland was the destination of choice, I believe.

I wonder what the odds of Trump completing his presidency are. He doesn't seem too strong on the Constitution or the rule of law, and seems to think he's now the kid in charge of the sweet shop. The last Pres to think that was Nixon; didn't end well. I can envisage a half built wall that will have cost billions of (US) dollars, and will be quietly forgotten once he has been locked up, a bit like Tony Blair's NHS IT extravaganza.
 Timmd 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:
Try and be as debt free and as employable as possibly I guess?

Worrying achieves nothing, mind, it just ages the soul...
Post edited at 19:14
OP MG 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> In the last upheaval - when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, and things started to look decidedly sticky - the West Coast of Ireland was the destination of choice, I believe.

Actually, getting an Irish passport is on the to do list.
 SenzuBean 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> Try and be as debt free and as employable as possibly I guess?

That's the exact opposite in general when there's high inflation. High inflation makes your debts "worth less", and so if you are sure (plenty of people are sure of things and are totally wrong, so I guess be extra sure) that we'll get high inflation - spend on assets that will stay "afloat" on the inflated currency. Gold is the common example, and can long-term float (i.e. the gold market can be more volatile than other investments, but is less volatile than other investments) above inflation. But buying gold is lame. I don't know what other assets would stay afloat but are not lame. :p
 Timmd 13 Nov 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

It just struck me as a good thing to be during any times of uncertainty....
 plyometrics 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Chateau Lafite, dark chocolate, cyanide and a massive bag of Wotsits should just about cover it for me, but not necessarily in that order...
 FactorXXX 13 Nov 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

But buying gold is lame. I don't know what other assets would stay afloat but are not lame.

I'm going to buy a gold plated boat.
OP MG 13 Nov 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

Who is your preferred cyanide supplier?
OP MG 13 Nov 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I'm going to buy a gold plated boat.

I see Trump has gold-plated lifts, maybe he knows something?
 plyometrics 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Fingers crossed, I'll never have to find one...
 FesteringSore 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

> Any tips on what to do given the likelihood of a much less stable world in the future, what with Brexit, Trump, and quite probably another European shock from Italy or France or somewhere? Planning for nuclear war is tricky, but what about other things? Move investments? Change career? Move country? Should I buy a rifle, just in case?

I've got a good line in tin foil hats
 Padraig 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Max out ALL your credit cards!.
Then apply for more and max them out as well!
 wintertree 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I have a zombie day plan and supplies, and have done for about 15 years. It's more likely to be needed due to inclement weather than global politics.

Redundant power sources with some local caches of fuel and some solar, redundant heating, water filtration and purification, tinned food reserves, that sort of thing. It's basically specified for 20 days of comfortable living without any grid services or transport in an exceptionally cold winter. Redundant electrics are properly wired in to the house, redundant water is ad hoc but may end up being formalised into a supply for an outhouse - mainly for irrigating things but handy as a backup. I remember having to use a standpipe once, that sucked.

No weapons so to speak of because (a) this is the UK so I can't go out and buy what I'd want and (b) I don't really want it because it's dangerous and (c) if it gets to the point where such weapons matter, my plan is the now legendary low profile rather than a raging gun battle.

If thoughts of nuclear war kept me up at night I'd be relocating to New Zealand. I'm taking the longer term view and thinking about moving to Mars circa 2045. Although I have a passing familiarity with the few local cave systems...
Post edited at 19:33
 Ridge 13 Nov 2016

> In the last upheaval - when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, and things started to look decidedly sticky - the West Coast of Ireland was the destination of choice, I believe.

I'm in West Cumbria, which is near enough. Plenty of armed locals knocking about, plus a new Lidl in Maryport. That's me sorted out.
 Tom Last 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Make sure you're vaporised in the first instance, you don't want to end up like that lass off Threads!
 FactorXXX 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I see Trump has gold-plated lifts, maybe he knows something?

One thing he should be aware of is that lifts wont stay afloat.
 broken spectre 13 Nov 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Book a ticket on a cruise ship, be in the middle of the ocean when the shit hits the fan and then head to Patagonia or somewhere out of the way
 arch 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I'd stop whittling about it and get on with life.
 Babika 13 Nov 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

> Stockpile dried peas, they're cheap, keep forever and you can live off them for months. Although if the world outside is an irradiated moonscape I guess you're just delaying the inevitable.

In The Martian it was freeze dried potatoes that were the saving grace.
I'd go for them over peas when planning for the end of the world
 Jon Stewart 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

If things really do get that bad, the only thing I'm bothered about getting my hands on is a massive bag of high quality smack.
 FesteringSore 13 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> I've got a good line in tin foil hats

And acrow props for when the sky falls in.
 BusyLizzie 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I've just finished reading "The Bone Clocks" by David Mitchell (author of the excellent "Cloud Atlas", read it read it), whose final chapters are a protrayal of a post-climate-change post-internet post-fossil fuels world. Terrifying. I am left wanting to move north and buy some land where I can grow things, stock up on dried peas ad whisky, and get some solar panels. And to learn to tune my own piano.
 FactorXXX 13 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

I've got a good line in tin foil hats

Have you considered gold foil hats?
pasbury 13 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Keep calm and carry on.
 aln 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> Try and be as debt free and as employable as possibly I guess?

> Worrying achieves nothing, mind, it just ages the soul...

Aren't old souls supposed to be wise?
 aln 14 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

> Who is your preferred cyanide supplier?

The garden centre.
 faffergotgunz 14 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Yes blud! Get 1 of them gatz from da DOOM movie blow holez in da Earth innit!

BRRRRRAAAAPPPP!
 Timmd 14 Nov 2016
In reply to aln:
> Aren't old souls supposed to be wise?

Perhaps aged and old can be different things, care worn and knotted - as opposed to experienced?

Who knows...
Post edited at 21:21
ROSP 14 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

My landlord is somewhat upset with my construction of a nuclear shelter in our living room following the Trump victory. Apparently, it makes viewings harder.
 Dax H 14 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I know my plan. I have keys to more than one bore hole site with auxiliary generators all behind nice high security fencing with plenty of spare buildings.
Food is one thing but clean safe water is a different game.
Should things turn nasty myself and most of my mates own shotguns.
A few of us own and are proficient with bows and I have the skills and gear to make my own arrows.
Also fairly proficient in the throwing of knives and hatchets.
Add to the a reasonable understanding of electrical maintenance and a very good understanding and skill of mechanical maintenance I figure I'm probably going to be okay.
 Big Ger 14 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:
> Any tips on what to do given the likelihood of a much less stable world in the future, what with Brexit, Trump, and quite probably another European shock from Italy or France or somewhere? Planning for nuclear war is tricky, but what about other things? Move investments? Change career? Move country? Should I buy a rifle, just in case?

My plan is to carry on enjoying life to it's fullest, while having a sneaky chortle at the doom-mongers who are stewing in a home made soup of their own fear, hatred, and bile.
Post edited at 22:26
 Wicamoi 14 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

If the world only ends a wee bit then having built yourself a "passive house" would have been useful.
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Doom mongers are always that until occasionally the worst happens, then they become prescient.

These are the scariest of times. Anyone who thinks the likes of Farage, Trump, le Pen and even (God help us) Theresa May are appropriate custodians of our children's or grand-children's futures is just imbecilic.
 Pete Pozman 14 Nov 2016

Just thinking of that film "On the Beach" instead of going crazy in the last ever car race, think of all the routes you'd get done if there was no point bothering with a rope. I'm off to climber heaven like the bloke in the picture hanging off the wall in the Old DG
 Pete Pozman 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

What possible reasons do you have to be cheerful Big, when the West is being brought to its knees all in one go? And by our own devising.
 bouldery bits 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> What possible reasons do you have to be cheerful Big, when the West is being brought to its knees all in one go? And by our own devising.

I just found all of Time Team on youtube so that's my reason to be cheerful.
 wercat 15 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

It's quite nice to think of all those hand held devices being burned out by EMP though. Fortunately I've got a couple of radiation hardened with gamma-ray protection circuitry that I can use afterwards, though as I'm not hardened it may be a bit pointless!
OP MG 15 Nov 2016

My OP was partly tongue in cheek, a point missed by the more right-wingers here, demonstrating the curious lack of humour that characterises the right. But, despite this, things are really concerning. Has instability been this high globally since the second world war?
 Pete Pozman 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Wicamoi:

> If the world only ends a wee bit then having built yourself a "passive house" would have been useful.

That's" Passivhaus". Bloody foreigners!
In reply to MG: "My OP was partly tongue in cheek, a point missed by the more right-wingers here, demonstrating the curious lack of humour that characterises the right"

? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. As far as I can see most responses were in keeping with the OP and were clearly tongue in cheek. They only got depressing and lacking in humour towards the end from Rob Ward and Pete Pozman as they bit at Big Gers wind up . Neither of them appear to lean to the right (Big Ger i'm not so sure .
OP MG 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> ? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. As far as I can see most responses were in keeping with the OP and were clearly tongue in cheek. They only got depressing and lacking in humour towards the end from Rob Ward and Pete Pozman

I wasn't referring to them.

> as they bit at Big Gers wind up . Neither of them appear to lean to the right (Big Ger i'm not so sure .

and Festeringsore?

jondo 15 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Thinking of joining the space marines myself.
10th Iron hands chapter.
The flesh is weak!
 Big Ger 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> What possible reasons do you have to be cheerful Big, when the West is being brought to its knees all in one go? And by our own devising.

The fact that you post things like that is reason to be cheerful.

Anybody else here old enough to remember the same guff being peddled by the left when Ronnie R became president?

Flinticus 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

The Democrats are not left. Only in the right leaning US political arena can they be considered as such simply in comparison to how far right the Republicans have shifted.

You need to change your prespective / start thinking and stop parroting yourself. Since when was a US hawk favourite of Wall St and big business left?
 Pete Pozman 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> The fact that you post things like that is reason to be cheerful.

> Anybody else here old enough to remember the same guff being peddled by the left when Ronnie R became president?

I remember that song on "Not the Nine o'clock News" which listed a whole lot of implausible things which the singer could believe in with the refrain "But I still can't believe Ronald Reagan is president". At least he was an experienced governor of California. Trump is a nasty bully who seems only to believe in himself and his personal needs. He's appointed a Nick Griffin type as his personal advisor. What the hell is going on ; when are the grown ups going to get back in charge?
 Big Ger 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> The Democrats are not left. Only in the right leaning US political arena can they be considered as such simply in comparison to how far right the Republicans have shifted.

> You need to change your prespective / start thinking and stop parroting yourself. Since when was a US hawk favourite of Wall St and big business left?

What the hell are you wobbling on about?
 Lord_ash2000 16 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I think the likelihood of nuclear war has gone down significantly with Trump being elected. He likes Russia and Putin, he wants to get back on better terms with Russia, if anything that can only reduce tensions.
 Pete Pozman 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

The trouble is he is an imbecile.
He should get back to playing with his golden building bricks. To think of this grotesque man baby in charge of the "nuclear codes" is the most frightening thing since the Cuba Crisis.
 JoshOvki 16 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

"I thought," he said, "that if the world was going to end we were meant to lie down or put a paper bag over our head or something."
"If you like, yes," said Ford.
[…]
"Will that help?" asked the barman.
"No," said Ford and gave him a friendly smile.
 Lord_ash2000 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> The trouble is he is an imbecile.

I agree, he is. But even imbeciles grasp the idea of if you hit someone they'll hit you back. He's less likely to go to war with or nuke Russia than Hillary was. If he nuked anywhere it would be the middle east and who'd fire a nuke back at the USA, causing the obliteration of their own country in response to that?

jkarran 16 Nov 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> That's the exact opposite in general when there's high inflation. High inflation makes your debts "worth less", and so if you are sure (plenty of people are sure of things and are totally wrong, so I guess be extra sure) that we'll get high inflation - spend on assets that will stay "afloat" on the inflated currency.

High inflation only erodes the value of debts if your means of paying those debts tracks or drives that inflation. The inflation we're facing isn't driven by wage growth but by the rising cost of imported essentials as our currency weakens. Perhaps our balance of trade impoves as the pound slides and wealth trickles down driving wage growth in the medium term (I wait with bated breath) but more likely we slip into another period of stagnation or recession before that happens as sluggish wage inflation, rapid price rises and potentially the first interest rate rise in years hit consumer confidence.

Then again, plenty of people have been wrong and I'm likely to be just another one of them.
jk
Lusk 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> What the hell is going on ; when are the grown ups going to get back in charge?

Like the previous set of grown ups who got us into (to paraphrase you) "this f*cking nightmare" in the first place?
 jkarran 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> I agree, he is. But even imbeciles grasp the idea of if you hit someone they'll hit you back.

Except by all accounts he didn't grasp this. He apparently had to have it explained to him during his defense briefings as a candidate.

> He's less likely to go to war with or nuke Russia than Hillary was. If he nuked anywhere it would be the middle east and who'd fire a nuke back at the USA, causing the obliteration of their own country in response to that?

That's a very reassuring assessment.
jk
 Flinticus 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

What I'm saying is you need to shift your thinking from Left v Right when it comes to the result of the US elections. Many Republicans have expressed very critical attitudes to DT and Stephen Bannon etc. If you have to insist on applying simple labels to the opposition to Trump then it's more 'Left, liberal (including economic liberal as well as social) , social democrat, centrist, moderate conservative V hard right, far right)

And then again its not that simple, is it? I read today that the TTIP has been declared dead in light of a Trump presidency. That's one good result that will be welcomed from a broad spectrum of political positions.

Big Ger 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> What I'm saying is you need to shift your thinking from Left v Right when it comes to the result of the US elections. Many Republicans have expressed very critical attitudes to DT and Stephen Bannon etc.

Yes, something I have not mentioned or ever denied. Now,read what I posted again;

> Anybody else here old enough to remember the same guff being peddled by the left when Ronnie R became president?

Nothing there about Democrats vs Republicans, or the American "left" for that matter. Could it be that I was referring to the UK left, and you have just gone on a wild fantasy, putting words in my mouth, and talking absolute cobblers?

I think you have.

> If you have to insist on applying simple labels to the opposition to Trump then it's more 'Left, liberal (including economic liberal as well as social) , social democrat, centrist, moderate conservative V hard right, far right)

So, when will you begin using these labels?

> And then again its not that simple, is it? I read today that the TTIP has been declared dead in light of a Trump presidency. That's one good result that will be welcomed from a broad spectrum of political positions.

Indeed. And what does that have to do with the fear-mongering spread in the UK by those of a left wing persuasion, when Ronnie R was elected?

I admire your active fantasy life.

wercat 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Or, indeed, all of the mockery from the right when Jimmy Carter was elected - A peanut farmer - is he safe with his finger on the button?
 Big Ger 16 Nov 2016
In reply to wercat:

> Or, indeed, all of the mockery from the right when Jimmy Carter was elected - A peanut farmer - is he safe with his finger on the button?

Indeed.
 Andy Say 17 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

“Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last TRUMP: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality” (I Cor. 15:51-53).

There might be nothing you can do...
 Pete Pozman 18 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Yes indeed. And despite all we have done and are going to do in the righteous effort to eradicate ISIS, carpet bombing their families, extreme vetting etc, they will have won. The downfall of the West, breaking up NATO, the EU and finally the Armageddon they have been working towards so single mindedly. And all because we couldn't hold our nerve.
 Andy Say 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> despite all we have done and are going to do in the righteous effort to eradicate ISIS, carpet bombing their families, extreme vetting etc,

That's irony, right?
 Pete Pozman 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

I'm sardonically paraphrasing Donald's "policy statements" regarding ISIS.
I have no doubt ISIS will be crushed militarily. But, in the manner of a space invasion science fiction scenario, they have infected our civilisation with a virus : fear.
It will, I propose, bring about a final catastrophe as foretold in the Holy Books, referenced by MG in his post to which I replied.
That is of course unless we wake up and recover our nerve. And start thinking again.
 Big Ger 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I'm glad I don't live in your world of fear.

(Or is it only us poor deluded sods who aren't as clever as you who will be affected by "final catastrophe as foretold in the Holy Books"?)
Lusk 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I liked, and thought she was the only sensible person on the panel, Merryn SW, on Question Time last night, who said, they'll look back at all this in 100 years and just mark it down as a minor fluctuation in trading.
 Tom Last 18 Nov 2016
In reply to JoshOvki:

> "I thought," he said, "that if the world was going to end we were meant to lie down or put a paper bag over our head or something."

> "If you like, yes," said Ford.

> […]

> "Will that help?" asked the barman.

> "No," said Ford and gave him a friendly smile.

Good man. I think I need a dose of this again
 elliott92 18 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Mate you've got it all wrong. Brexit and trump won't actually change much.

The Russians on the other hand. Now that is something to worry about.
 Pete Pozman 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I'm glad I don't live in your world of fear.

So far you do whether you like it or not.
This is my best case scenario. It may justify your blitheness.
I'm thinking there will be a Republican coup if that Bozo keeps bringing far right crazies into the oval office (or whatever the hell it is). There must be masses of impeachment worthy stuff there just waiting to be rolled out when the time is right. The big fella is massively compromised on conflict of interest issues relating to his debts to foreign banks, not least in Russia and China. The sex scandals are being kept in reserve if they can't nullify him on his tax and email (far more serious than Hilarys) issues.
The Grand Old Party has used him to secure their stranglehold on power. I hope.

I know a lot of Republicans. They are not Nazis.

jondo 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> I know a lot of Republicans. They are not Nazis.

youtube.com/watch?v=tuBa8lBHw94&
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I don't know how many people here have seen this yet ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mathematician-humans-extinct-2017...
 Siward 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Babika:

How many would I need for, say, 50 years of life?
 Siward 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

On the other hand other boffins think we may all almost certainly be living in a simulation.

(I make a point of keeping an eye out for pixellation at all times because, although the sim is obviously pretty darn good, there are bound to be glitches here and there.)

It seems to derive from this paper partially pasted in below but has been picked up in the media of late:

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

VII. CONCLUSION

A technologically mature “posthuman” civilization would have enormous computing power. Based on this empirical fact, the simulation argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero; (2) The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero; (3) The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.

If (1) is true, then we will almost certainly go extinct before reaching posthumanity. If (2) is true, then there must be a strong convergence among the courses of advanced civilizations so that virtually none contains any relatively wealthy individuals who desire to run ancestor-simulations and are free to do so. If (3) is true, then we almost certainly live in a simulation. In the dark forest of our current ignorance, it seems sensible to apportion one’s credence roughly evenly between (1), (2), and (3).
 Jim Fraser 19 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Not planning for the end of the world but planning for the end of the USA. The price of bread and oil will rise (oil in Euros of course). So I should make enough money to still be able to afford bread. Sorted.
 Duncan Bourne 21 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

I do sometimes wonder if I will see the end of civilisation in my life time. We seem to currently be in the process of another mass extinction according to various sources and it seems pretty clear that climate change is not going to be stopped or slow down. There are very likely to be water shortages in the future with some areas of the world becoming uninhabitable. The effect on the UK is likely to be in terms of food if our current stock of wolrd food producers face catastrophe. If havests fail or are lessened then producers will not have surplus to sell on. Of course other areas will experience longer frost free growing seasons but the overall amount of cultivatible land will reduce, rising sea levels will only add the the problem.
The problem is that people always assume that we will pull ourselves out of it (because we have always done so in the past) but there isn't the political will to tackle it now (which may already be too late).
 wercat 21 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Do you think this thread has caused the sudden interest in Morse Code mentioned elsewhere?
 colinakmc 21 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

Emphatically yes. In the 60's we were very close on several occasions to the full shebang kicking off. Even as a young child I remember being aware of it and thinking the "protect and survive " commercials were very unconvincing. Especially when the US subs started coming up the Clyde.
 mcdougal 22 Nov 2016
In reply to MG:

This thread was a lot more fun when it was talking about dried peas.
damhan-allaidh 22 Nov 2016
In reply to mcdougal:

Don't look at any of the news regarding the 20 C spike in Arctic SSTs. I'm spending the rest of the afternoon counting lentils.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...